Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Considering a Bernina >
  • Considering a Bernina

• Considering a Bernina

Old 10-13-2012, 10:12 PM
    Power Poster

The Bernina dealer is very important. Not all are equal and if the dealer doesn't have good customer service, Bernina company is hesitant to get involved, just leave it up to the dealer. The customer has to push the issue. I found that out with some guild members buying the new 830 and the shoddy customer service they received after their checks cleared. Get everything you expect in writing. Don't assume anything.
    Old 10-14-2012, 03:37 AM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback.
    Old 10-14-2012, 03:50 AM

I don't have a Bernina, I have a Viking and you would think all stores would honor the agreement. Our teacher just took on a new student who bought a machine and was given the out of box demo and nothing else. Of course at Bellas they want everyone to be able to use what they bought and she only had to pay 40 for the yr to do the monthly classes and of course cost of project. I'd definitely get it all in writing and ask the store. No matter what machine you get; good customer service, classes and support are really the best. I tell everyone to test out different machines to see the different features. I love my Vikings but I took classes on the latest Brother this weekend and there are a lot of good things about this machine as well. I met one lady who bought a Babylock because that's what she could afford and didn't know if she'd get into embroidery enough to go bigger. She gets 2 classes and the teacher makes her feel like it's not important to teach her because she got a lower end machine. Thats messed up as far as I'm concerned. Good luck on what you get but talk to the store and get things in writing in case you move. If you have an idea where you might move find a dealer there and call them to see what their policy is.
    Old 10-14-2012, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    So does mine. The point is, it's the same classes...if the student doesn't learn, well...
    So does mine. If you need special help with a certain project she'll set up a time and work on that. She also listens to us and if there are several students who want to learn something she'll set up a special class for all of us; thats with the machine or software. We have monthly emboidery club that's open to all; no matter what machine you have or where you bought it. If you got if from them it's free if not its 40 a yr plus cost of projects. I think its a great value because shes always coming up with new things for us to learn and now that most of us in the class have one of 3 machines she's going to teach us things that our machines will do that others don't but good things for us to know. To me this is a great teacher. By the way, I have a Viking but I think all stores/teachers should be like that. The classes to teach you basics are great but as you start doing more its great to have someone to count on if you need extra assistance. You are right, the student has to want to learn and pay attention. Some take the classes but never do anything outside of the classes.
    Old 10-14-2012, 05:20 AM

I have a Janome 11000SE for about 2yrs now. I didn't get anything in writing BUT I am especially fortunate that the LQS that I bought it from in Morris, Il is the best. Classes are great & help anytime that you need it. Service of the machines is awesome.The staff at this store goes out of their way to help the customer. And they are Friendly.
    Old 10-14-2012, 05:45 AM

I have never gotten anything in writing, and never felt like I had to. I am lucky to live in a small town, and my Bernina dealer is in the next small town up the road. His customer service was on a "Thank you" and a hand shake, and it is still there after 25 years. What a rarity. I can not count how many customers my mom and I sent to him over the years because we were happy with him. Bernina is having trouble with the 430/440 front cover cracking and breaking where the screws fit in. The company is replacing them free of charge, if they need to be. I my 430 is done and I need to take my 440 in. It is very laborsome and the replacement piece is expensive, but there was no cost to me. I in herited my 430 from my mom. The repair has to come from the original owner. They just looked up the information on my mom and called it good. I could write a book on all the wonderful support I have recieved over the years, like the Sat. night phone call right before Christmas because I was having trouble on my machine with a last minute present. As I said before, Customer Service is everything in a sewing machine. Before you buy, go in and visit. Ask around to other sewers. Are they happy? Do you feel comfortable with people? 25 years ago, I was so close to buying a Phaff, but did not have the comfortable feeling that the Bernina store gave me.
    Old 10-14-2012, 06:28 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I've had my Bernina 830 2 1/2 years and am still taking classes for free. My dealer is over 2 hours away and I have to travel over snowy mountain passes from October thru May, so I only have a few months a year to take classes. I think I will be taking classes for 4 years.
    They just did my first cleaning this summer for free. They are very good to me. I put things off and they are patient with me. I appreciate them so much. I took one class this summer.
    Old 10-14-2012, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    So does mine. The point is, it's the same classes...if the student doesn't learn, well...
    My dealer probably has 50 to 100 classes offered free to people who bought their machines through them. The machine comes with lifetime classes-with a catch. You get 1 year, and then every time you get service you get an additional year.

And while some are repetitive (weekends are almost always "meet my bernina") they have them on just about every topic, foot, technique, etc you can imagine. Classes sell supplies in the store, so it is in their best interest to get you into them.
    Old 10-18-2012, 02:15 PM
    Power Poster

I have owned my Bernina for 14 years and have had only one problem in all that time and I bet I have sewn to the moon and back.

The knee lifter broke. It didn't stop the machine from working. I just had to raise the presser foot by hand untill It was fixed. I think it cost about 60.00 and that was mostly for labor.

I love my Bernina.
    peace

EDIT: I want to add that my dealer is also teriffic. So many classes and very helpful in every way. I think if you move and find a new dealer they would be more than happy to care for you. Bernina will help you find the nearestone to your new home.

Last edited by ube quilting; 10-18-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    Old 10-18-2012, 04:19 PM

If you are considering a new Bernina, consider the new 7 series. One of the big differences in the new 7's and the 8 series is what is on the screen. I think the hardest part is figuring out what you need and which machine will suit those needs the best. You know the sale is on, right?