Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Considering Quilting Vacation >
  • Considering Quilting Vacation

• Considering Quilting Vacation

Old 04-11-2012, 04:54 AM

Default Considering Quilting Vacation

It's been years since I've had a real vacation! I'm trying to plan a getaway sometime in the next year, and I was thinking about a quilting retreat or a quilting cruise. I've done lots of googling and a bit of research, and the following sound fun, although the timing may not be good for me:

Stitchin' Heaven Quilter's Hideout : http://www.stitchinheaven.com/quilters_hideout.asp
    Moda Quilting Extravaganza Cruise: http://www.stitchinheaven.com/travel...e_moda2013.asp

I was wondering if anyone's gone on any of the Stitchin' Heaven retreats or cruises, and what they thought, or if anyone knows of other quilting vacations. I'm looking for ones I don't have to travel too far to get to, so retreats in Texas or cruises that leave from Galveston. I'm also having trouble finding "open" retreats- I'm finding a lot of places that offer space for groups and guilds to organize their own retreats, but I want something already planned and that has an "open enrollment" since I'm not in a group.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!
    Old 04-11-2012, 05:18 AM

I have been on many quilt tours along with a quilt cruise. For me, that is the only way to travel. I travel alone and this is safe, interesting and I don't have to worry about a thing. I even went to France on a quilt tour. I travel Heritage Counry Tours ( I hope this not again the rules) and love the whole experience. I usually have to fly somewhere, get myself to the hotel then meet up with my group. I have never had a problem. They always incorporate scenery,history and then of course, quilt shops. In France, we went do a material factory that showed the raw producting coming in, how they color the fabric, etc. We also went to a shop that our bus driver knew about,called them and they opened up just for us. They did screen printing and it certainly was well worth the trip.
    I can't say enough about the trips with this company. I first started after I got divorced. I knew I had to venture out on my own if I ever wanted to go anywhere. Saw their ad and gave it a try. I have met so many strong women on these ours. Even though I am alone, I never feel alone. Give it a try with any group. I don't think you will be disappointed.
    Old 04-11-2012, 05:46 AM

I haven't been on one of their retreats, but have been to several retreats in AZ and CA. The $295 cost sounds really reasonable. I usually end up spending $400 or so on the retreats (registration and lodging), plus meals.
    Old 04-11-2012, 06:03 AM

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it. I'm trying to avoid airfare, though, saves more money for fabric
    Old 04-11-2012, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by catmcclure
    I haven't been on one of their retreats, but have been to several retreats in AZ and CA. The $295 cost sounds really reasonable. I usually end up spending $400 or so on the retreats (registration and lodging), plus meals.
    I thought it sounded like a bargain, too!
    Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 AM

Thanks for starting this thread... I was having the same thoughts regarding a 'quilting' vacation.
    Old 04-12-2012, 06:48 AM

The retreats and cruises offered by Quilting Heaven sound like so much fun. I have a couple of questions--if you travel by yourself, do you have to room with someone else? Usually the prices are for doubles. Also, when you go on a quilting cruise, is all your free time spent in a classroom, quilting? Like so many of you, I don't belong to any groups, and only have a couple of friends who quilt. Thanks for starting this thread, as I have been wondering the same thing.
    Sue
    Old 04-12-2012, 06:54 AM

I've never been on a quilt cruise but from the sounds of it I'd sure like to take one and soon.
    Old 04-12-2012, 07:01 AM

This is a great thread - I would love to go on a quilting retreat/cruise. Was wondering how do you bring a featherweight on a plane? Or do you ship it before - or does the retreat/cruise have machines. I will be doing investigation, guys - thinking about this just added another thing to my Bucket list (daughter calls this my
    B list).
    Old 04-12-2012, 07:01 AM
    Banned

3 or 4 of my quilting friends and I get together for a 7 day week every year - it's our annual quilt retreat. This year we're planning to rent a furnished house thru a realtor in the area we want. We come from different states so seek as close to a mid point as possible.
    You don't want to choose an area that has attractions - jacks up the price.
    You want nowheresville that has a restuarant for one dinner splurge, a supermarket and, if you're lucky, a quilt shop.