Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Conundrum What comes fist quilting or the board? >
  • Conundrum What comes fist quilting or the board?

• Conundrum What comes fist quilting or the board?

Old 08-07-2019, 02:30 AM

Two cups of coffee each morning while I check my emails and current QB topics/posts... then I shut down my IPad and move on. Very rarely do I power up later in the day or evening unless I need help or ideas with a project. It was actually one of my 2019 New Year’s commitments in order to get more accomplished in my day. ��
    Old 08-07-2019, 02:41 AM

I got up around 5:30 am today. I started coffee then cut 12 3" strips of fabric, then came here. Then I got out the new little featherweight that came yesterday. Marveled over it and fussed over it for 15 minutes or so. Then back to the computer got on amazon for a moment order a new cord for the FW and came back here again to check things out while I am having my first cup of Joe. This is how the day will go. Sew a bit, come here for a bit, go back to the sewing machine then back here. And if I am distracted for a bit might even do some housework. Like you I am here all the time.
    Old 08-07-2019, 03:23 AM

Red face

I have a morning routine. Up but still in bed with my laptop. Run through the e-mail and "dump the junk" or respond. That included the here, the Board. I then do not check this site again until a couple of threads post daily changes after 8:30 PM.

I try to not be ruled by my online communication opportunities. Facebook, A quick peruse to check up on family and seldom post. Other sites that post regularly, EX: MSQ, JoAnn's, Jordan Fabrics etc. get a quick view and I do not check in until the next day. Nothing they have is vital to my day. I teach, university, and my students often communicate via e-mail, but even those I try to just check AM and PM.

I have been making efforts to set aside time to do regular home cleaning weekly. This includes washing clothes as well as the normal vac, dust and windows as needed. I find that when I set aside 2 hours once a week, I can be pretty free of house work except for the daily messes that I make myself. Even those are limited, if I pick up after myself before going to bed.

Quilting happens constantly. I usually am in my sewing room every day as my day allows and projects demand and commitments come due.

A simple life for me!

Last edited by WMUTeach; 08-07-2019 at 03:27 AM.
    Old 08-07-2019, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
    Yep, got up, fed dogs, made my tea and now I'm here! My mister (not a man!) has broken, so Amazon, here I come later!
    I'm so glad you qualified "mister"... You would have me wondering how to order one on Amazon!!?!

I usually check in here first thing as I munch on my homemade pumpkin bread that includes chocolate chips, nuts, and other goodies. Then other stuff on the internet. Then my Sliver Sneakers exercise class. Then quilt the rest of the day!
    Old 08-07-2019, 03:34 AM

Depending on how well I've slept overnight, I get up around 3 or 4 am, work in the sewing room,then feed Indy (cat) around 4:30, fix my 1st cup of coffee, play games until 6:30 when SO gets up. Then I log onto my mail, read that, then breakfast. After all of that's out of the way, it's usually back to the sewing room.
    Old 08-07-2019, 03:47 AM

Mine comes in at 6 a.m. I am ready and waiting. Nightgown and fuzzy slippers. Then I see what everyone else is doing and try (real hard sometimes) not to buy what they are using, like rulers and little notions.
    Old 08-07-2019, 03:49 AM

I am always up by 7, usually earlier if the dog demands it. The dog and QB pretty much rule my life. I climb out of bed, make it immediately and then come down to the kitchen to feed the dog and log on and check emails before even turning on the hot water for tea. The bed has to be made right away because Waylon, the Great Dane spends most of the day on the bed so he can check out what is going on outside the bedroom window.

I try to get down to the sewing studio by 9 or so, will do laundry while I am sewing. Every time I come upstairs I have to go through the kitchen, so I usually check emails and read what is up on QB. Like most of you, QB is my lifeline to the world. Living alone does that to a person.
    Old 08-07-2019, 03:59 AM
    Power Poster

I've become a terrible housekeeper these days! When my kids were home I had much more of a schedule. Basically my husband and I take a day a week and go through the house. He's messy but a great cleaner so it evens out, sorta haha
    First thing I do is get my coffee and do the Washington Post crossword online and then I come here. Love this board!
    I may check back later in the day as well.

The days I sew I'm usually in my room around 10 or 11 and stay there most of the day.
    Old 08-07-2019, 04:58 AM

I no longer sew much, but I never miss reading the "morning news". I enjoy seeing what others are doing. I remember how much I used to sew--even making car seat covers. etc. Now if I even get a button sewn on, I feel "virtuous". Can you tell I am old?!!!
    Old 08-07-2019, 05:17 AM

wake up around 3 or 4 or 5- read QB in bed on my tablet- sometimes respond, but it's hard typing on those tablet virtual keyboards. Around 5 or 5:30 either me or DH gets up and fixes coffee/tea and brings it back up to bed. Bubba gets his doggy cookie in bed (he doesn't get up until we get up and make the bed). Usually we're up and making the bed (with Bubba's help) by 6 or 6:30 unless we had a late night, or poor sleep for whatever reason.

after breakfast a bit of housework and yard work. Then upstairs, check email, QB and head for the studio to work on either a quilt, or doing some more decluttering in there.

Last year I started a studio notebook to help me keep on track in my studio. I was getting to the point where I'd walk into my studio and see so many things I could work on that I'd get overwhelmed and nothing would get done. Now, I look at my notebook and see which projects hve deadlines and what steps are left to do on each project. By breaking it down into smaller steps and writing them down to check off as I go I've found that I can now quickly find something to do even if I've only got a little bit of time in the studio. Before, I'd have to spend time looking at a project to remind myself what the next step was going to be. Don't know if that kind of thing would be helpful to others, but it might be worth trying if you only get studio time in bits and pieces, or have lots of different things going at once.

Rob