Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cool fabric, need a pattern! >
  • Cool fabric, need a pattern!

• Cool fabric, need a pattern!

Old 10-03-2011, 10:29 PM

This fabric is too cute to cut, so just quilt it as is, maybe quilt around the cats to make them "POP".
    Old 10-04-2011, 11:02 AM

Linda....I love that block....how do you cut your strips and what size are they or does it matter.....Trish
    Old 10-04-2011, 11:56 AM

I wouldn't be able to cut this cute fabric and would use it for a panel in the center.
    Old 10-04-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Trish88
    Linda....I love that block....how do you cut your strips and what size are they or does it matter.....Trish
    In that particular case, I used random width strips from my scraps. It was my first try at foundation piecing so I just stopped when I got to the edge of my pre-cut foundation square. My center square was 5". I sewed the strip and stopped before I got to the end, folded it back on itself and trimmed it at the edge of the block. I repeated that with each strip using my small ruler to make sure I was staying square. I don't think it matters what size you cut your strips unless you want them all the same.
    I don't think you have to use the foundation to do these, I just wanted to try it since I hadn't before.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-266327.jpe  
    Old 10-04-2011, 05:33 PM

Linda thank you for the information....I love working on blocks and I try to do different ones...I started quilting about 5 years ago and I first learned and loved doing crazy quilting......which I continue to do...but my new interest is using all my leftover fabric that continues to grow lol...so when I saw your block kinda reminded me in a way its almost like crazy quilting..thx again...Trish
    Old 10-04-2011, 05:52 PM

you are very welcome trish and anyone else who might find the info helpful.. Hugs and smiles, all
    Old 10-05-2011, 05:18 AM

The cats need to be the focus fabric. Maybe something where the cats will be in the center. Love that fabric!
    Old 10-05-2011, 10:09 PM

If you cut on the diagonal you get nine cats in a diamond., three on each side. Could start there? Love the cats.
    Old 10-07-2011, 04:22 PM

What is foundation piecing? Is it like sewing lincoln log around a block you like?

In that particular case, I used random width strips from my scraps. It was my first try at foundation piecing so I just stopped when I got to the edge of my pre-cut foundation square. My center square was 5". I sewed the strip and stopped before I got to the end, folded it back on itself and trimmed it at the edge of the block. I repeated that with each strip using my small ruler to make sure I was staying square. I don't think it matters what size you cut your strips unless you want them all the same.
    I don't think you have to use the foundation to do these, I just wanted to try it since I hadn't before.[/quote]
    Old 10-07-2011, 05:12 PM

foundation piecing is when you are sewing your pieces to another layer which serves as the foundation. In my photo you can see the white poly that I am stitching mine to. You can also use paper, muslin or whatever you want. If you use paper, you tear it off afterwards. If you use any type of fabric, it remains a permanent part of your block. A foundation provides stability when you are using lots of small or narrow pieces. I didn't need one in this block but just wanted to try the technique.