Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cool and/or light weight batting >
  • Cool and/or light weight batting

• Cool and/or light weight batting

Old 06-25-2024, 03:48 PM

Default Cool and/or light weight batting

Looking for input on what battings are coolest or most lightweight, or both! I typically use 80/20 but a friend I help has asked for a cooler/more light weight batting. I did think of flannel, but am open to other suggestions...
    Old 06-25-2024, 06:59 PM

I have wool batting in the quilt on my bed and we use it year round. It's warm in winter, cool in summer, and lightweight.

I made a flannel quilt once, top, backing, and batting were all flannel. It turned out very heavy.
    Old 06-26-2024, 02:00 AM

I agree with Peckish, wool!
    Old 06-26-2024, 02:21 AM

Wool is great, though it is expensive. Dream brand has a lightweight bamboo batting of which I am very fond. It quilts and drapes nicely, but isn't as expensive as wool.
    Old 06-26-2024, 03:19 AM

I made my closest friend a Irish chain quilt a few years back using wool batting. She was living in Texas then and said the quilt made her too hot and would not use it. She's moving to Montana this week and said she will absolutely use the quilt there.
    Old 06-26-2024, 04:21 AM

This is hypothetical, but I would think 100% cotton would be one of the coolest battings available. I'm in Texas, and hardly ever put a quilt on my bed (only on the coldest nights), but If I made a quilt for my bed, it would have 100% cotton batting. (I generally use 80/20 in my quilts, as I "believe" the quilt will be more stable in more washings.)

I base that idea on the clothes I wear in the summer. If I am going to be out (not in air conditioned rooms), I wear 100% cotton.

I have noticed advertising on TV for bamboo shirts that they claim are cool and breathable, but have not tried any bamboo fabrics.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 06-26-2024 at 04:23 AM. Reason: added thought
    Old 06-26-2024, 10:15 AM

I'm in Houston (Sauna of the South). We're hot and humid and I make full use of my a/c. I have a quilt on my bed year round but really only use it in the fall and winter. I use Quilters Dream Request a lot. It's very thin. Hardly more than flannel. It quilts very well but isn't hot at all. I love it.

I have started using bamboo battings and really like the softness and drape. I don't think the Quilter's Dream Bamboo is much heavier than the Request and it seems to be really nice and not hot.
    Old 06-26-2024, 10:49 AM
    Power Poster

My favorite batting is Missouri Star Best Blend. It's lightweight and has lots of body and the drape is wonderful. I stock up when there is a 30% sale. I take my own batting to the LA who I use sometimes and she likes it a lot. I
    Old 06-26-2024, 11:59 AM

I think batting choice also depends on each person's individual preferences. My husband is a polar bear and likes a very cold room to sleep in, which means I want warm quilts, regardless of the weather. We also both like weight, so heavier quilts are a plus. We use one blanket under the quilt in summer and two blankets under the quilt in winter.
    Old 06-26-2024, 05:02 PM

Living in the HOT desert, I like Hobbs Theremore batting. Very thin & light & easy to quilt. I've made several quilts with it.