Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • copyright vent >
  • copyright vent

• copyright vent

Old 03-16-2010, 07:51 AM

Then why does the Library have so many pattern books?
    You also get DVDs to watch for free,that they check out to countless people. They have copyright laws on them too. Is the Library exempt? They also have music CDs and books on CD.
    You check out books that you did not buy and read them for free also.
    Im just coureous to know, seems the owners are losing alot of profit from sales because of the Library.
    Old 03-16-2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    Then why does the Library have so many pattern books? They are useless unless you make a copy.
    Good point.
    Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 AM

I think many people are way over thinking this. Sometimes I get really tired of the copyright police.

I lend my magazines, but they are my magazines. My friend makes it from my magazine, gives me back the magazine. I lend it to someone else. Come on guys, we aren't using these to teach a class, sale the quilt. Sometimes it is a common block with a different border or color. I get ideas from other peoples quilt use the same block, which is a common block different color, different border. Also the fabric designer sites have great PDF patterns, even showing what fabrics, that everybody and their brother downloads
    Old 03-16-2010, 09:10 AM
    Power Poster

Then why does the Library have so many pattern books?
    You also get DVDs to watch for free,that they check out to countless people. They have copyright laws on them too. Is the Library exempt? They also have music CDs and books on CD.
    You check out books that you did not buy and read them for free also.
    Im just coureous to know, seems the owners are losing alot of profit from sales because of the Library.
    Copying is copying. When you check out a DVD and watch it you are not copying it. When you check out a book and read it you are not copying it. You do realize that copying it would be a crime, though, right? Same for quilting books.
    Old 03-16-2010, 09:48 AM

Yes of course but Im still curious why its alright to loan out a video hundreds of times.
    Also you do not have time to make a quilt when checking out the book so it is necessary to copy the pattern. Why would they have the book if you could not use it?
    Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 AM
    Power Poster

Yes of course but Im still curious why its alright to loan out a video hundreds of times.
    Also you do not have time to make a quilt when checking out the book so it is necessary to copy the pattern. Why would they have the book if you could not use it?
    You can usually keep a book out for 3 weeks and then renew it once or twice, plenty of time to make a quilt. You can learn about different methods from reading the instructions in a book. Or you can get inspiration from the quilts in the book. Several times I checked out a book to see if it was something I would want to refer to again and again, and if it was I bought the book.
    Old 03-16-2010, 10:01 AM

Because libraries pay royalties and usage fees to book publishers. That's why the have to pay so much more for a book than you can buy it thru Amazon.
    Old 03-16-2010, 10:03 AM

We solved the copyright problem by purchasing patterns and books as a quilt guild and eveyone uses them.
    Old 03-16-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by montanaquilter
    i say....who cares??? who is going to track down all of us quilters and sue us for using their design or whatever??!!! i figure as long as your not making a thousand quilts and selling them at huge profit--no one cares!!
    You just opened a can of........oh who cares...LOL! I am with you girl!!!:^)
    Old 03-16-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045
    Originally Posted by montanaquilter
    i say....who cares??? who is going to track down all of us quilters and sue us for using their design or whatever??!!! i figure as long as your not making a thousand quilts and selling them at huge profit--no one cares!!
    You just opened a can of........oh who cares...LOL! I am with you girl!!!:^)
    Oh yes I second that motion. If eveyone is buy and traiding I don't think it matters.