Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cost of LQS Fabric >
  • Cost of LQS Fabric

• Cost of LQS Fabric

Old 05-03-2017, 06:16 AM
    Banned

There really are quality fabrics to be had that aren't "brand" or "designer" and they cost half as much. I buy generic in all things, whenever possible.
    Old 05-03-2017, 12:36 PM

Australia here, price per metre (39 inches) is around $22 to $27, when the American dollar was on par with the aussie dollar I bought a lot of fabric from the US.
    Old 05-03-2017, 03:26 PM

Thanks for asking this question. The answers from members are interesting and informative. I'm probably not the right person to comment on fabric prices. I am still in shock at the cost of a new car or dinner for two at a modest restaurant! I agree with a comment made in one of the replies to this thread: the LQS have priced themselves out of business. Compared to on-line alternatives I have always found LQS fabrics and other items over priced. I love to visit them; just the visual of all that fabric and the perfectly stitched quilts and other items is very exciting. But the prices always frightened me. Still do, only more so. It's just too much. Not to mention the other "elephant in the room", the sewing machine. I am astounded at the amount of money that can be spent on a machine. And they just keep improving them and marketing them so effectively! How many sewing machines can one person use? I hardly sew at all any more and I have 4! What the heck? I could go on but there's nothing to be gained from ranting. Good luck to you all in your hunt for suitable fabric.
    Old 05-03-2017, 04:47 PM
    Power Poster

I have bought most of my fabrics at Wal Mart or Hobby Lobby. I mainly donate my quilts or give them away. All my fabrics are good quality. Plenty good to give away, I don't know how the quilts will be taken care of,
    Old 05-04-2017, 02:10 AM

I agree with Tartan -- the LQS's have priced themselves out of the business. Even going to JoAnn's, I wait for sales or 40% to 60% off coupons. Otherwise, I'd never make a quilt. Of course, I'm not making quilts to sell -- I buy good quality material, but I don't pay LQS prices. It's beyond what I can afford -- I'm not crying about that -- it's just a fact. Right now, I've got three quilt tops ready to sandwich and quilt, plus another quilt top to make and quilt -- three of these are all gifts, plus I have a couple of baby quilts to make (also gifts). This not intended to be criticism -- it's just the way it is. And, I've bought a good bit of fabric online where the prices are much more reasonable.
    Old 05-05-2017, 10:34 AM

In Europe and Australia, the price is twice or more what we pay here in the US.

I just try to shop the sales when I can.
    Old 05-05-2017, 10:36 AM

I always shop the clearance section, and have gotten some really nice fabric. Last time down, came home with ten yds.
    Old 05-05-2017, 11:55 AM

$12 to $15 yd now and heard that shops just got a 50 cent increase in wholesale price
    Old 05-05-2017, 01:01 PM

Thank you for all your responses. I'll be making the 2 hour trek on Monday & have printed out a coupon to use at 1 of the shops I found in the area. I usually buy online or at JAF but wanted the LQS experience, so I'll keep you in the loop.
    Old 05-05-2017, 02:34 PM

$8-$12 SE Coastal GA.