Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cotton batting Never again! >
  • Cotton batting Never again!

• Cotton batting Never again!

Old 08-08-2017, 08:11 PM
    Power Poster

I think it's a trial and error process to find out which battings you love to use and which you don't. I like Hobbs 80/20 and a fluffy 5 oz. poly batting that I get from Marshall's Dry Goods. Never thought I'd like a poly batting (and I didn't at first), but it makes the softest, fluffiest quilts! I love the stuff now.
    Old 08-09-2017, 05:14 AM
    Power Poster

The only poly I like to use is Fairfield Traditional but that is hard to find now. There is concern that poly batting is abrasive to the cotton fabric in the quilt over time with use. I found a bolt of double sided fusible fleece in my sewing room closet. I think I'm going to try that for batting for my next quilt.
    Old 08-10-2017, 03:12 AM

Using the dryer without a dryer sheet may not be the problem either. I always put my Warm and Natural in the dryer with a sheet to remove the wrinkles. And use 505 spray baste and have never had an issue with it. We all have those days when nothing works properly or as we expect it to. Maybe it was just one of those days? But feel your pain.
    Old 08-10-2017, 04:01 AM
    Power Poster

I got the quilt quilted. Yeah. After a rough start the quilt finally behaved. I stay stitched around it and tossed it in the washer. I'll add the binding later today. I still think it was the batting as I'm basting another one with spray and 80/20 cotton and no problems at all.
    Old 08-10-2017, 04:03 AM
    Power Poster

Glad you were able to get it done. On to the next!!
    Old 08-10-2017, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    I have spray basted cotton batting with no problems. However, there was one time I ended up with a mess. That was when I forgot to use the technique that has you lay out the sandwich first, then pull back the top (or backing) halfway before spraying. I had sprayed the entire backing, then tried to lay the batting on top. Disaster! I did finally manage to work it out, but it took a lot of time and energy.

Edit: I tried hanging for spray basting but found the weight was more than my arms liked to handle, especially since I like to make large quilts. It's better for me to lay the sandwich out flat.
    I also spray baste in halves or in sections when the quilt is large. Lay out the back and I use painters take to make it smooth and taunt. Lay the batting on, smooth then turn back a section spray, fold batting back over the sprayed area and repeat with the other section. Same process with the top. It is rare that there are any problems. And when they wrinkle up, I just pull up the batting and re-position and continue. It takes time and appears to be fussy but it is SOOOOO much faster than pinning and unpinning as you quilt you piece. For small quilts, I do the same thing but pin them to my flannel wall. I grab my roll of waxed paper and put a piece all way around my small quilt to catch any over spray. (Don't want it on my flannel wall). Perfect every time and no bending over or sore back!
    Old 08-10-2017, 05:05 AM
    Power Poster

I use as many folding tables as I need so the quilt top will lay flat with no overhang. I put batting down first. Lay the quilt top on top of the batting then spray in section. Turn over and repeat with backing. Easy and fast. Sometimes I use Elmer's washable glue. Depends on how I feel about it that day. The queen size one I started basting this morning at 6 I was finished at 6:20. No problems and the top and backing are smooth. I have the tables folded up and put away. Over and done. I'm going to try the two sided fusible on a smaller quilt.
    Old 08-10-2017, 05:31 AM

Can't remember which brand of cotton batting I bought but found it to be very thin and lumpy. Never again. Went back to my 80/20.
    Old 08-10-2017, 07:01 AM

I've had the same problem!! It was not Hobbs batting. I've never used either cotton batting or spray basting, with one exception, again! I now pin all my quilts. I just finished a small appliqued wall hanging that had to be spray basted, as the pins would have left too many wholes in it. I used bamboo/cotton blend batting. It didn't wrinkle or bunch but I still detest the spray basting! Too many other issues I can live without!
    Old 08-10-2017, 08:51 AM

I have difficulty with spray basting because I make large quilts and I have to layer them on the floor. I am 79 years old and crawling around on the floor is not my idea of fun. I bought a 4 x 8 ft. thin plywood that sits on 2 saw horses and I usually try to spray baste outside but in Central Florida in the summer that is not an option for me. I think I would pay someone to sandwich my quilt if I could find someone. I tried my LQS but the backing was all wrinkled and told me to just iron them out. That was an all day job. Never again.