Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Could I Make a Rag Quilt of Scrubs Squares and Flannel Squares? >
  • Could I Make a Rag Quilt of Scrubs Squares and Flannel Squares?

• Could I Make a Rag Quilt of Scrubs Squares and Flannel Squares?

Old 09-09-2013, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
    I know it is your quilt and you can do whatever you want. However......

If I were teaching someone to quilt I would not start with a rag quilt. I would use the fabric to make a more traditional quilt ..top, batting and back.

Rag quilts should fray on the edges. That is why a more loosely woven fabric is used.. That is not to say the scrubs would not work. I would put the scrubs in the middle or one the back if you are using only two layers.

I always say you have to respect the nature of the fabric if you mix different fibers, weave, textures and weights. I believe you need to experiment to make sure if you are getting the look you want.

It appears also based on how you have described your student that you need to consider what she wants and avoid making something she may never use.
    I'd use the scrubs for the front piece. There are so many cute and clever designs.

And I disagree about teaching a newbie to sew with a rag quilt. It's so much quicket to get to the finished product, and have something useful, than all the steps necessary to make a traditonal quilt.
    Old 09-10-2013, 10:50 AM

Thanks for your advice. I will be teaching her to sew more so than how to quilt. She hasn't sewn since high school. So we don't really care if it frays, or looks like a traditional rag quilt. I think the square cuts on the fleece will be cute enough. I'm guessing the flannel will turn toward the back and we will cut the almost 1/2" that sticks out past the seam into little sections, right?

The object is just to get her used to sewing and see if she likes it -- the other object is not spending a lot of money if she doesn't. Since I already have a bunch of scrubs and bought some fleece I am leaning toward this as a fun and easy beginner project. It will be good practice threading the machine, getting used to the speed and sewing straight seams, etc.

Originally Posted by Holice
    I know it is your quilt and you can do whatever you want. However......

If I were teaching someone to quilt I would not start with a rag quilt. I would use the fabric to make a more traditional quilt ..top, batting and back.

Rag quilts should fray on the edges. That is why a more loosely woven fabric is used.. That is not to say the scrubs would not work. I would put the scrubs in the middle or one the back if you are using only two layers.

I always say you have to respect the nature of the fabric if you mix different fibers, weave, textures and weights. I believe you need to experiment to make sure if you are getting the look you want.

It appears also based on how you have described your student that you need to consider what she wants and avoid making something she may never use.
    Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 AM

That's a super cute quilt! Mine will be more plain, the scrubs are solid colors, although I saw some pink and white zebra fleece on sale at Wal-mart I'm probably going to buy. I already have lilac fleece and those are are her two favorite colors. I'm thinking it will be a real eclectic quilt but fun to make.

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    I used cotton for the top layer. Then 2 layers of flannel. I didn't put any batting in it so there wasn't any need to secure it by sewing an "X" in each square. Here is a link to the rag quilt I did. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t152774.html