Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Could I use fleece as a backing to a small quilt that had a cotton top? >
  • Could I use fleece as a backing to a small quilt that had a cotton top?

• Could I use fleece as a backing to a small quilt that had a cotton top?

Old 07-12-2024, 09:14 AM

Smile

Honey, it's your quilt and you can do as you like. But, I understand what you're actually asking and there is lots of good advice here. I notice that you mentioned poly batting which tends to be lighter than cotton/blends so it might be okay to keep the batting as it won't add much in weight which can become an issue with the fleece. Personally, I think the softness of the loft along with the softness of the fleece will make it a snuggly quilt so long as you don't quilt it heavily.
    Old 07-14-2024, 07:04 PM

Yes, you can use fleece as backing on a quilt with a cotton top. I've done it many times. I like the feel of it, kids love the feel of it. I do use batting as well and so far have not heard a complaint from any recipients. My husband loves to use one in the winter.
    Old 07-15-2024, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nwrader
    I'm making a lap quilt with cotton squares on top and fleece as the back no batting. Every time I try to sew them together( cotton top laps over the fleece for a self binding it sews like it is not square, look bad. Any suggestions
    Welcome to the board! It sounds like the fleece is shifting under the pressure foot. Pinning may help keeping the fleece from slipping too much.
    Old 07-15-2024, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nwrader
    I'm making a lap quilt with cotton squares on top and fleece as the back no batting. Every time I try to sew them together( cotton top laps over the fleece for a self binding it sews like it is not square, look bad. Any suggestions
    @Nwrader is the fleece stretching out of square as you sew? It is quite stretchy stuff. Are you using a walking foot to keep the cotton top and fleece backing moving together, and not pushing or pulling the fabric through into or out from under the foot? Is the fabric moving at the machine’s own feeding pace? Are your two layers basted together with pins, clips, spray, glue, or basting stitches to keep them aligned while you sew?
    Old 07-15-2024, 06:50 PM

I don’t see why you couldn’t do it. I’m not certain the batting will add much though, you could eliminate if desired. The fleece would provide warmth and loft for quilting and you may not notice a benefit to adding batting. I recommend making a couple little mock-up swatches to see the difference in drape and feel: on with just your cotton top and the polar fleece backing, the other with the batting. Quilt both at the density you plan to quilt the finished product.