Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Could just bawl!!!  Please give suggestions! >
  • Could just bawl!!! Please give suggestions!

• Could just bawl!!! Please give suggestions!

Old 01-28-2012, 08:14 AM

It's not a mistake but an opportunity to design. Square the applique and add to it. You will love your original work of art and your grand daughter will too!
    Old 01-28-2012, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
    Cut it down and put a border on it. If your quilt is one that doesn't have a center block, cut down a few more and put borders on them. Eat some chocolate and relax with your favorite beverage. After a box of chocolates solutions will just come to you out of the blue.
    AMEN and testify, Sister!
    Old 01-28-2012, 09:18 AM

I've certainly been there with the bawling and wanting to tear my hair out so I empathize with you. I think all of these suggestions would work well for you. Just pick the one that you like the best.
    Old 01-28-2012, 09:29 AM

Don't worry, if you piece the same background piece on to your miscut then it will be fine. I miscut a hand appliqué block and fortunately I had some more of the background fabric and just added some. I now have a seam there but after quilting I don't think it will show...if it does, oh well!
    Old 01-28-2012, 09:32 AM

I agree also, Not being able to see the block, the first thing I thought of when I read the decription was to trim if you cann off the other sides add trim to get to correct size again and re square up the block. Your grand will love it no matter because her grams made it just for her
    Old 01-28-2012, 11:09 AM

Here is what I would do...I would add a small sashing around the block...
    Cut the block down to center the design (remove the same amount you cut off the one side). Cut a strip of a complementing fabric (or the background fabric)...say 2" to start...sew on all four sides.....now, carefully trim the block to center the design and make the block 12-1/2" square...you may end up with a 1/4" strip all around when finished.
    Another thing you can doIs add a small appliqued flower/star, bug...something that goes with the design to the side that has too much fabric...that will even out the placement.

Hope this helps some.

Originally Posted by mommabear62
    I could just bawl and tear my hair out. I have been working on a quilt for my 7 year old granddaughter. One block is entirely applique. Have never done this before and if I never do it again that will be too soon! Well anyway, I have put everything on the background and ironed everything on. Looks ok but really need lots of practice with this. I was to cut the block now to 12 1/2 inches. I made one cut and realized I should not have done this!! Now my block is way off center because of the way I made that one cut. Can I just take the applique's off and spray baste them onto another piece of background? I do not have enough material to cut everything out and start all over again and after the trouble I had I really wouldn't want to do this either. Can the applique pieces be saved!!!!
    Old 01-28-2012, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by indymta
    As ckcowl says "many of our errors just lead to new design features"...how true and I speak from experience!
    I agree! And another bit of free advice is - DON'T point out your "mistakes" to everyone who sees your quilt. I always tell the students I have in quilting classes, if I hear they are pointing out the things they don't feel are perfect, I'll come and take their project back!
    Old 01-28-2012, 11:34 AM
    pw6

add a border to the size needed to be 12 1/2" by 12 1/2"...
    Old 01-28-2012, 12:20 PM

Would the solution come from the chocolate or the "beverage"? I know which would help me the most!

Cut it down and put a border on it. If your quilt is one that doesn't have a center block, cut down a few more and put borders on them. Eat some chocolate and relax with your favorite beverage. After a box of chocolates solutions will just come to you out of the blue.
    Old 01-28-2012, 03:00 PM

Excellent advice.