Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Could Someone Advise me on How to Design a Personalised Quilt for My Sister? >
  • Could Someone Advise me on How to Design a Personalised Quilt for My Sister?

• Could Someone Advise me on How to Design a Personalised Quilt for My Sister?

Old 07-22-2024, 03:47 AM

Smile Could Someone Advise me on How to Design a Personalised Quilt for My Sister?

Hello Everyone

I hope you are doing well. I want to reach you in an effort to get some guidance and opinions from other quilters who are fans about constructing a customised quilt for my sister. Since she works frequently in a cold workshop as a creator, I want to make something that is comfortable and supports creativity.

Before you ask, let me tell you that I have been binding for a few years and have completed a number of projects, from easy lap comforters to more complex bed quilts. However, the fact that this work is for a really special person makes it feel extremely important to me. I'm hoping it represents her imagination in addition to offering comfort.
    • My sister loves contemporary art and frequently uses bright colours and shapes in her works. I am trying to figure out how to make this into a quilt pattern. Have any of you created quilts influenced by sculptures or abstract art? Do you have any suggestions for arrangements of colours and patterns that inspire confidence and creativity?
    • Which kinds of fabric would you suggest; understanding that the quilt needs to be warm? While I have been eager to hear suggestions for other materials that would be good for warming and visual appeal; I am thinking of using a combination of cotton and silk.
    • My sister works frequently feature a lot of appearance; so I want to add some interest to the fabric as well. Which certain embroidery methods and decoration work best for you when it comes to giving the fabric texture and thoroughness?
    • It is important; as this fabric will be used a lot in a professional sewing room setting. How can a covering be made that will hold up to several washings and use? Does endurance get better with certain batting types or stitching techniques?
    • I would like to put some unique elements that reflect my sister creativity and character. Have any of you decorated your quilts with special, individual impacts? I would be interested in knowing your original ideas; whether they involve apply; sewing; and some other craft.
    • Last but not least, I am thinking about several quilting designs that would go nicely with the general concept. Which of your favourite stitching patterns might be a good fit for this project? I want something that still has a consistent appearance without being overly formal.
    Also I explored some topics related to this https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulletin/member-swaps-round-row-robins-qlikviewdevelopercourse-f11/july-2009-doll-quilt-swap-t21729.html but I did not get the sufficient solution of my query so I would really want to get some help from a more experienced person.

This project interests me very much, and I look forward to hearing your ideas and guidance. I want to make the fabric as special as possible for my sister because it means a lot to me.

I appreciate your assistance and time in advance.
    Old 07-22-2024, 03:56 AM
    Power Poster

My first thought was to make her a long guilted jacket with wool batting.

but the more I read of your post, the more confused i got.

Old 07-22-2024, 03:57 AM

Hi and welcome! If you need a quilt that can stand up to lots of washing, I would stick to cotton fabrics. Mixing cottons and silks is a great way to create a quilt with texture but silk won't stand up to constant washing. Perhaps velveteen (cotton velvet) if you want different textures in the quilt surface would be an option instead of silk?

Perhaps using your sister's favorite colors is a start.

If you have a picture of something she created you can recreate it with fabric.

Another option is to create sections of the quilt utilizing your childhood memories of fun activities. There is nothing more individual than personal memories.

You can add embroidery to sections of the overall design to represent the singular memories to personalize the quilt.

Don't underestimate the power of words in a quilt. Use words that describe your sister.

As far as patterns go, I would suggest googling "modern quilt patterns" and see if anything sings out to you. You can add elements to the pattern that give you the personalization you want.

You can google "paper piecing pattern ______" with the blank being whatever the unique item to match your sister could be. There are tons of very creative paper piecing designers out there that may have a great pattern for you to consider.

I am looking forward to seeing the quilt you come up with!! I am sure your sister will love it.
    Old 07-23-2024, 11:17 AM

What are some things that she has created? Can you make copies/pictures of one or more of her works and create that image on fabric? As to warmth, I would back it with flannel and use either wool or polyester batting. Pure cottons for the top. If you want to add texture you can add extra batting in some areas, use old doilies, handkerchiefs, old buttons, appliqué, embroidery, etc. I don’t know what it’s called but the “new” thing seems to be joining pieces with crochet. Also you might think of fabrics that inspire memories. For instance, I’m finishing up a denim quilt that is made from my family’s used denim, concentrating on my Dad’s old jeans. Personally, I like keeping the quilting simple and somewhat minimal (compared to a lot of some I’ve seen) as I don’t like mine as stiff as a board. And I think the more quilting, the less warm they are.
    Just some ideas that came to mind when reading your post. Hard to advise when we don’t know your sister.
    Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    My first thought was to make her a long guilted jacket with wool batting.

but the more I read of your post, the more confused i got.
    Same here. But I will try.

Originally Posted by Jazlyn
    • Do you have any suggestions for arrangements of colours and patterns that inspire confidence and creativity?
    To me, confidence is either there or it's not, and doesn't have much to do with the environment. If your sister likes bright bold colors, then use bright bold colors.
    • Which kinds of fabric would you suggest; understanding that the quilt needs to be warm?
    I would use wool batting for warmth.
    • My sister works frequently feature a lot of appearance. Which certain embroidery methods and decoration work best for you when it comes to giving the fabric texture and thoroughness?
    I don't understand this question - what do you mean by "thoroughness"?
    Personally, I would find bright bold colors mixed with embroidery and other decorative work too busy for my taste.
    • Last but not least, I am thinking about several quilting designs that would go nicely with the general concept. Which of your favourite stitching patterns might be a good fit for this project? I want something that still has a consistent appearance without being overly formal.
    It's difficult to help you choose a quilting design when we don't yet know what you're creating. A quilted wall hanging can often be quilted very densely, while a quilted jacket would need loose quilting for ease of wear.

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
    mkc

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Same here. But I will try.
    The original post reads quite a bit like an AI-generated post, which is suspect given this from their profile

I am passionate about using my abilities to create smooth and engaging user experiences, and I am excited to continue innovating and driving user centric design in every project.
    That's classic SEO (search engine optimized) lingo. Could be trying to use QB to write their content...

Last edited by mkc; Yesterday at 12:57 PM.
    Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM
    Administrator

i also thought it a bit odd.
    however, there are no rules violations so far that i can prove.
    let's all keep an eye on it.
    please alert me to anything definite and obvious.
    Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
    mkc

Originally Posted by patricej
    i also thought it a bit odd.
    however, there are no rules violations so far that i can prove.
    let's all keep an eye on it.
    please alert me to anything definite and obvious.
    Have you run the IPs for registration and posts through Instant IP Address Lookup? You can double-check the ISP and any services (like data center, which is usually a spammer. Paradise Networks is one that comes to mind)

StopForumSpam is another good resource.

Lastly Check Mail to make sure an e-mail address used for registration is on a legit domain and isn't disposable.

(I moderate several non-quilting forums and use all of the above when we get a new member posting)