Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Counting change >
  • Counting change

• Counting change

Old 10-06-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Another topic (The price of squash) made me think about something else. I don't check my receipts from stores, but I do know if it's grossly out of whack, but I do always count my change and I do it the "old fashioned" way ... backwards.

You know, total comes to $54.28 and you hand the cashier $100. I look at my change and count that as $55, then I count the bills upwards until I get to $100.

This is the way I was taught when I was a grocery store cashier in the days before registers told the cashier how much change to dispense. It comes in handy for those times when you make cash purchases at places that don't have registers. But I still do it at regular registers because while I trust the register to do math, I need to know that the math had the right formula to begin with ... IOW did the cashier enter the correct sum that I handed her which will determine the amount of change to dispense. And I have found errors like this, cashier entered $10 instead of the $20 that I handed her.

But so many youngsters today don't have this skill, and don't even know it exists. Some cashiers look at me like I have horns coming out of my head when they see me count the change again.
    I also count mine and always count my money when I cash a check at the bank before leaving the window even in the drive through!! Once in the drive through while I was sitting there counting my money, the young lady ask me if something was wrong Duh, I said no, I always count it before I leave!!
    Old 10-07-2011, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
    Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Another topic (The price of squash) made me think about something else. I don't check my receipts from stores, but I do know if it's grossly out of whack, but I do always count my change and I do it the "old fashioned" way ... backwards.

You know, total comes to $54.28 and you hand the cashier $100. I look at my change and count that as $55, then I count the bills upwards until I get to $100.

This is the way I was taught when I was a grocery store cashier in the days before registers told the cashier how much change to dispense. It comes in handy for those times when you make cash purchases at places that don't have registers. But I still do it at regular registers because while I trust the register to do math, I need to know that the math had the right formula to begin with ... IOW did the cashier enter the correct sum that I handed her which will determine the amount of change to dispense. And I have found errors like this, cashier entered $10 instead of the $20 that I handed her.

But so many youngsters today don't have this skill, and don't even know it exists. Some cashiers look at me like I have horns coming out of my head when they see me count the change again.
    I also count mine and always count my money when I cash a check at the bank before leaving the window even in the drive through!! Once in the drive through while I was sitting there counting my money, the young lady ask me if something was wrong Duh, I said no, I always count it before I leave!!
    I always count mine at the efpos machine as well as the counter too.
    Old 10-12-2011, 03:07 PM

101.00 Right?????

Originally Posted by Airwick156
    I also count my change the same way. What is sad is that nowadays the register will tell the cashier how much change to give back....and the person has no idea how to MAKE the change. Example...your order is $33.49 cents you pay with a $100 and the register is telling them your change is $67.51 they stand there with the dumbest look because they dont know how to make $67.51. Makes you wonder why schools even have math as a class when the kids now a days use calculators. I learned to use my fingers, toes, freckles.
    Old 10-12-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by noahscats7
    101.00 Right?????

I also count my change the same way. What is sad is that nowadays the register will tell the cashier how much change to give back....and the person has no idea how to MAKE the change. Example...your order is $33.49 cents you pay with a $100 and the register is telling them your change is $67.51 they stand there with the dumbest look because they dont know how to make $67.51. Makes you wonder why schools even have math as a class when the kids now a days use calculators. I learned to use my fingers, toes, freckles.
    YOU are correct. But who am I to talk; I make $100 mistakes in my checkbook!
    Old 10-12-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by noahscats7
    101.00 Right?????

NO it is not101 - the correct answer is 100
    Old 10-13-2011, 09:34 AM

9 plus 1 is 10, put down the 0, carry the 1
    4 plus 5 is 9 plus the one carried equals 10; put down the 0 carry the 1
    3 plus 7 is 10 PLUS the 1 carried is 11, carry the one
    Correct?
    Old 10-13-2011, 10:09 AM

Yep!
    Old 10-13-2011, 10:42 AM

I was taught that was back with the old ka-ching registers too - if is foolproof to start from the price and count up to the amount tendered.

Ever been in a restaurant where the computer went down and servers couldn't order or total the checks ???LOL
    Old 10-13-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew
    I was taught that was back with the old ka-ching registers too - if is foolproof to start from the price and count up to the amount tendered.

Ever been in a restaurant where the computer went down and servers couldn't order or total the checks ???LOL
    Yes! I had to help the waitress add it up. Good thing I was honest!