Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Counting change >
  • Counting change

• Counting change

Old 09-26-2011, 11:14 AM

I was a mgr. of cashiers for 8 years. I could not believe the number of cashiers that didn't know how. ie customer buys $9.45 for something, hand the cashier a $10.00 bill. The cashier types in $100. and was about to hand the customer change for $100.00. Luckily the customer would not accept it. At that point ALL cashiers were instructed to learn how to count back. :thumbup:
    Old 09-26-2011, 11:29 AM

When my son was in college he worked at a video rental store, and was required to "count back" a customer's change. Although the register did display the amount of change due, the owner of the store insisted that ALL change be counted back the old way.
    Old 09-26-2011, 11:34 AM

I recount, too. Mistakes happen.

I know that this isn't representative of all younger people, but about 20 yrs ago, my family and I were at a fast food restaurant while traveling. The electronic cash registers were not working, so they were adding everything up on paper. The young man waiting on us added everything up in twos. Added the first two items, then items three and four, etc. After adding finally finishing the first pairs, he started in again, adding the sums of his first go-round in pairs. Repeated until he was down to a final two sums to get our total. He couldn't add a column of numbers.
    Old 09-26-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
    What is this world coming to? I'm convinced that, "ONE DAY", all of this so called 'modern technology' is going to just blow up and the whole world is going to go completely crazy. Pretty soon, your kids won't ever need to take a pencil and paper to school, everything will be done on the computer......so sad! ! !
    There are schools now that start kindergarden kids with computers. I saw a news report last week I think it was and I forget which state it was but they now start kindergarden kids with computers but what I saw of it was not necessarily taking away the way to learn. That states school system has 45% of its 4th graders that fail so they started this test program that for the next 4 years all kindergarden kids will have a computer ... actually it was not a computer but an iPad to teach them the basics of reading and numbers. They have tested a group that did it and have jumped two grade levels to be on track when they get to 4th grade.

Seems basics a child needs to learn to carry him/her through are learned from kindergarden to 3rd grade and after that they should be able to do anything if thought what they need.

I see the problem as being way to many students in a class. My 4th grade GD has 33 students in her class this year from 22 last year in 3rd grade. My 7 year old GD who is suppose to be in 2nd grade but in first if they did not move her to a special class of now 10 kids to learn would be left behind in the class of 25 plus for 1st graders. Now she has a chance to learn and hopefully make it to 2nd grade next year.

I blame her parents though for her failing kindergarden and doing it twice. They don't work with the child to learn what she needs and also she was not allowed to go to daycare or pre-k and if her mother had her way she would not have gone to kindergarden. I had to fight for her to go to kindergarden two years ago. Mother's attitude was in the state of GA a child is not required to be in school until age of 6 which I did not know and she was keeping girl home because she wanted someone home with her yet she was teaching her nothing.

Now I have taken control of childs education and put both my son and that girls mother on alert not to screw with her education or they will have to answer to me. I AM MAKING them bring the girl to me 3 days a week for tutoring so she can learn to read and she is already improving.

So guess it's not all schools failing with over crowding when kids have parent from generation X who think the world owes them something and they leave there kids behind and not tending to them.
    Old 09-26-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur
    I have worked with and trained teenagers to give change for 20 years. I have never come across someone who could not count change. I'm glad none of you have ever made a mistake, ever, but not all of us are that perfect. I'm sorry you have occasionally been given incorrect change. That does not mean we should do away with calculators. I personally carry a cell phone in my pocket, so I do have a calculator at all times. I have never been in a business that has typewriters instead of computers. Those days are gone. Insulting an entire generation and the entire school system through out the country seems a bit extreme for a simple mistake.
    Agree!
    Old 09-26-2011, 12:14 PM

Another thing we need to watch is if they put cash back on the receipt and you didn't want cash back and then you are paying for the money you didn't receive. Had email warning about this happening to some folks.
    Old 09-26-2011, 12:19 PM

I learned to use a sewing machine at age 9 or 10...because my mom was afraid of her machine....wouldn't use it.
    I had first learned to sew by hand, out of necessity. When mom realized I could sew, she taught me all the different hand stitching she knew..but she would not touch that new Kenmore. When she realized I could use it...I got (at age 10) all the sewing that needed to be done by machine. That was 50 years ago (yikes!), and now I have about a dozen machines...but I still hand embroider when watching tv, at the doctors office, etc.

My mom had the mind of a 10 year old...couldn't read or write well...but, darn it, try to cheat her out of a penny & she knew it! She could count...couldn't do addition or subtraction...but she knew if she spent 1.08, and gave the clerk 2.00, she should get three quarters, a dime, a nickel and two pennies back...if not...she went on a tirade about how pennies count...from her depression experience.
    Mom wouldn't touch a calculator or computer...they scared her to pieces.
    I find nothing wrong with using a calculator to prove your work..but darn it...learn simple math!

I hated algebra...didn't see why I needed A + B=C...when 1 + 2= 3 worked just fine.
    Went for a job interview...huge math test...mostly algebra and calculation of fractions. I ace that test...why? Because my dad insisted I would need the junk some day. Sure, using a calculator is faster, but it does not stimulate the brain.

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur
    So, how many of you were not allowed to use a sewing machine until you mastered the art of hand piecing. Who learned to make all their clothes with nothing but newspaper, scissors, needle and thread. These were once necessary skills. That doesn't mean they apply to life today.
    Old 09-26-2011, 12:26 PM

Ah, today's kids!
    When I was in college, I worked the concession stands at the games. Had to add all those hot dogs, chips, drinks, in my head! No cash register, just a cash box.
    And yes, I counted the change for the customers just like you.

Today's kids don't have to do do this because all cash registers are computerized. When I hand a cashier $5 and one nickel for a bill of $4.05, they can't figure that one out! Yes, even the kids in advanced classes. They can do more than we ever could (I didn't use a calculator till college statistics) but WE can also do things they can't.
    Old 09-26-2011, 12:56 PM

I just saw this yesterday, and so appropriate for this topic. To quote Judge Judy-"Beauty fades, dumb is forever!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QBv2CFTSWU
    Old 09-26-2011, 12:57 PM

How many of us know how/have ever washed clothes on a rock? Sure doesn't stop me from using my new fangled automatic washer. LOL I never made a clothing object entirely by hand either, but really love my new sewing machine. Just saying.....