Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Counting change >
  • Counting change

• Counting change

Old 09-26-2011, 05:53 PM

make change?? they can't even spell "change"? along with about 95 other common words, because of texting on cell phones.
    Old 09-26-2011, 06:47 PM

I don't see anything wrong with computers and calulators after they have learned the basic concepts. By learning the basics in every subject, they have been taught how to think, the "why' and "how". In Texas, the students have to take a TAKS test, schools are graded on how many students pass. And Seniors have to pass to graduate. So what do our schools do, they take 2 to 3 weeks out of the school year to teach the test, negates what the test is supposed to show.

Cursive should be taught because it uses both sides of the brain which is a good thing. It has been proven that boys and girls learn in different ways and that they learn better in all girls or all boy classes. But segregation covers that, so instead of making the classroom a better place to learn, they rather use laws that are not good for education.

Also in some homes, the parents are not supportive. That includes the poor to the rich. Some don't care, some do, but don't have time. That can make a big difference in the attitude toward an education.

Also some schools treat the students like cattle. I think each child is entitled to respect as a human being. If they are treated with respect, they will do better.

My youngest 3 grands have had their curiousity encouraged since they were infants. They all love school and are very bright. Before they started school, I would buy them workbooks that exposed them to learning numbers, words, etc.

You hear of kids getting thru school with out learning to read, they just keep passing them instead of taking the time to help them.

I think times have gotten a little better and I know there are some excellent teachers and schools, but there are still to many missing the point.

We have one district that all schools have been rated the highest score and the district spends less per child than most of the other school districts, so it's not the money.
    I would never have moved to where I am now, if my children were still in school, their reputation has been terrible for 30 yr or more and they spend a lot of money per child, go figure.

Sorry this is so long, but bad schools and bad teachers are really a subject that gets my goat. I hate to think of a child not getting the education they deserve. What is the answer or answers? I am not sure, but we need to start somewhere. We are not ranked at the top in the world, and with all our advantages, we should be.
    Old 09-27-2011, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by ewecansew
    My pet peeve is that they put the cash in the drawer before they count out the change. Very easy to say 'I gave you a twenty' when you gave them a 'ten'.
    yes..that happened to my daughter recently....at a well known fabric store....but I won't say any more 'cause the moderators deleted my topic and told me to take it up with the management of the store(which we already had, and I posted the topic as a warning reminder to others)....I guess it's ok to talk about generic situations but not specific ones!!
    Old 09-27-2011, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by MarthaT
    My husband is a math teacher and he insists on the students showing him their written work step-by-step. Calculators or not, the work must be there. As a homeschooling mom, my kid's learned to count change the old fashioned way as part of our math. Their brains need the exercise!!!!!
    Thank you for posting this....I am a homeschooling mom too. And yesterday, explaining place value to my daughter was the topic of her math. When it was all said and done, I learned as much as she did....and while I am older, I do enjoy teaching things to my kids, as you never really understand something until you have to teach it!!

We have had some of our kids try to skip this process of showing all their work....and I count the problem wrong (even if they have the right answer) if they don't show every step. In my mind, there is value in showing the process. Helps them develop their "logical" side of their brains!!
    Old 09-27-2011, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur
    I have worked with and trained teenagers to give change for 20 years. I have never come across someone who could not count change. I'm glad none of you have ever made a mistake, ever, but not all of us are that perfect. I'm sorry you have occasionally been given incorrect change. That does not mean we should do away with calculators. I personally carry a cell phone in my pocket, so I do have a calculator at all times. I have never been in a business that has typewriters instead of computers. Those days are gone. Insulting an entire generation and the entire school system through out the country seems a bit extreme for a simple mistake.
    I understand what you are saying...though I don't think the original poster was "insulting an entire generation...." But you have to agree that when, as a nation, our math scores on basic skills tests, ACT, PSAT, and the SAT tests continue to fall way below the numbers of nations like Japan, something is wrong. When teachers are allowed to teach our grade school children that 2 + 2 = whatever number you want it to equal instead of 4....something has gone terribly wrong. When you have 3rd graders doing algebra problems and they do not even know their basic math facts...ie: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division....well, no wonder so many children use calculators. Their little brains are just overwhelmed as they have never been given the opportunity to have their minds trained to think in the logical sequencing that math teaches.

IMHO children need many, many months and years on training in the basic math facts. If they get this, "higher" math is much easier, as they understand the logic of that process. Not to mention the fact that they discover that 2 + 2 always = 4....always.

The teaching of math has gone way off course in this country....and if the schools won't correct the problem...let me encourage all you parents to turn off the tv, sit with your children in the evening, and teach them basic math....you will be doing them a huge favor for their futures. And sharpening your own skills in the process!!
    Old 09-27-2011, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by galvestonangel
    I don't see anything wrong with computers and calulators after they have learned the basic concepts. By learning the basics in every subject, they have been taught how to think, the "why' and "how". In Texas, the students have to take a TAKS test, schools are graded on how many students pass. And Seniors have to pass to graduate. So what do our schools do, they take 2 to 3 weeks out of the school year to teach the test, negates what the test is supposed to show.

Cursive should be taught because it uses both sides of the brain which is a good thing. It has been proven that boys and girls learn in different ways and that they learn better in all girls or all boy classes. But segregation covers that, so instead of making the classroom a better place to learn, they rather use laws that are not good for education.

Also in some homes, the parents are not supportive. That includes the poor to the rich. Some don't care, some do, but don't have time. That can make a big difference in the attitude toward an education.

Also some schools treat the students like cattle. I think each child is entitled to respect as a human being. If they are treated with respect, they will do better.

My youngest 3 grands have had their curiousity encouraged since they were infants. They all love school and are very bright. Before they started school, I would buy them workbooks that exposed them to learning numbers, words, etc.

You hear of kids getting thru school with out learning to read, they just keep passing them instead of taking the time to help them.

I think times have gotten a little better and I know there are some excellent teachers and schools, but there are still to many missing the point.

We have one district that all schools have been rated the highest score and the district spends less per child than most of the other school districts, so it's not the money.
    I would never have moved to where I am now, if my children were still in school, their reputation has been terrible for 30 yr or more and they spend a lot of money per child, go figure.

Sorry this is so long, but bad schools and bad teachers are really a subject that gets my goat. I hate to think of a child not getting the education they deserve. What is the answer or answers? I am not sure, but we need to start somewhere. We are not ranked at the top in the world, and with all our advantages, we should be.
    I think a great test would be to turn off the electricity and then see how much any of us know or could do...........lots of adults would be struggling as much as the children. Great area for a terrorist organization to dwell on!
    Old 09-27-2011, 04:12 AM

My girlfriend was once charged $34-50 for a packet of biscuits,they made her go through all the bags till she found the biscuits,then they gave her the money back.
    Just goes to show, you should always look at your dockets.
    Old 09-27-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
    the worst I have seen, is when I wetn to buy 20 ft of chain ( we lived on a farm) the poor girl only had a 10 ft measure...... she had to go find assistance to see how to measure the length I wanted...
    My children were allowed to use calculators AFTER they proved they knew how to do it with out....

there are pros and cons to every technology.....
    just curious....why didn't you tell her? Lol.
    Old 09-27-2011, 05:33 AM

You would be surprised how easy it is to hit that extra zero on the newer cash registers, so when entering $10, you may get $100 instead. BUT, there is no excuse for not being able to make the correct change. I have done it, and laughingly said to the customers, Sorry about the fumble fingers...as much as I like you, I can't give you the change for the $100, but I CAN MAKE THE CORRECT CHANGE, and did it. People enjoy seeing that someone can still do it, even if they can't "type" properly on the register, lol.

It is such a simple skill, no kid should get out of grade school without being able to make change, or count backwards.
    Old 09-27-2011, 05:38 AM

I work part-time in retail and found that most people don't check their change as long as it is close to what they think they should get back.

I always tell the person the total for the sale, the amount of money they give me, the amount of the change, and then count the change for them. This works very well.

Most people are confused or impatient when I go that extra step start counting from the transaction total up to the amount of money they paid me, so I don't do it anymore.