Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cover up with it or hang it on the wall? >
  • Cover up with it or hang it on the wall?

• Cover up with it or hang it on the wall?

Old 05-05-2011, 02:46 AM

Well I have been gifting people with baby quilts for four years now and I would be very honoured if someone wanted to hang one of my quilts.

A month ago I emailed a whole lot of people who had been given a baby quilt and asked if they could email me a picture of their child and the quilt they received as I wanted to make a scrapbook of my quilts. So far one mother has sent me a picture ( with an invitation to her second baby shower ). Some said they would and despite posting lots of other pictures on Facebook since then, nothing has come to me! Many others have ignored it all together.

SO be happy that these people want a reminder of you in their child's room. It would speak volumes to me! ( And incidentally from now on? I will not be gifting anyone with a baby quilt!!!)
    Old 05-05-2011, 03:14 AM

When I make quilts for my grandkids or any little ones I mention to the parents that they are made for love, they're made to be able to wash, drag, curl up in etc. Sometimes people just need the reassurance that it's OK to really use them. Maybe you could mention it to them.
    Old 05-05-2011, 03:28 AM

Is the kid allowed to LOOK at it????
    Old 05-05-2011, 03:45 AM
    Vat

I add a sleeve to almost every project I do now days. That way if I decide to hang it I can.
    Old 05-05-2011, 03:50 AM

My grandbaby's room is decorated with robots and space invaders. I've had some luck finding fabrics but never saw these before. Can you tell me who makes them? I would love to make a quilt or wall hanging like yours.
    Old 05-05-2011, 03:59 AM

My neice also decided to hang the quilt I made for the baby, and I was very honored. And after seeing the tiny baby I knew that quilt was way too big for her. Especially since they don't put textiles in cribs anymore. By the time the baby is old enough to drag it around, the nursery will not be so matchy-matchy and they will be willing to take the quilt down for use. So it's double duty and that makes me happy.
    Old 05-05-2011, 04:18 AM

When I give a baby quilt the instructions are - give it to the kid - it is meant to be used, dragged through the garden, made into a "house", whatever - use is up and wear it out. I can always make another one - actually I'm always looking for a reason to make another quilt!
    Old 05-05-2011, 04:44 AM

I think it is quite an honor that they considered the quilt a piece of treasured art to be displayed for all to see!
    Old 05-05-2011, 04:45 AM

I made a Musical Mice quilt for a cancer benefit for a 12 year old girl. I did it so they could raise money to defray expenses. I went to the benefit and about 2 hours into it, I went up to the person who I'd given the quilt to give to them. I asked her what happened to the quilt? She went to the girls mother and came back and said, she loved the quilt. Since I had put 'In Honor of Samantha Graham' on the label she hoped I didn't mind, but she wanted to keep it. Her daughter died about 6 months later. But she has the quilt to help ease the pain. My first thought was, I made that to raise money. Then I realized it was where it was supposed to be. Some people are so honored by the thought and consideration involved that they don't want anything to happen to it. If this is a first child I could understand even more why they would want to display instead of using it. They don't want something on the wall that everyone else has. I think the quilt is beautiful.
    Old 05-05-2011, 05:28 AM

It's a Wall of Honor. I would love looking at it all day long. It is so cool looking.