Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cover up with it or hang it on the wall? >
  • Cover up with it or hang it on the wall?

• Cover up with it or hang it on the wall?

Old 05-05-2011, 05:34 AM

The robot quilt is adorable!! I had the same problem. My baby quilts come out so nice that the Mom's don't want to lay the babies down on them for fear they'll puke on them. So what I do now is make 2 quilts. One that is fancy and suitable for hanging on the wall and displaying, then I make a small simpler quilt for everyday use like laying on a floor for the baby to play on. Those quilts I tend not to use expensive fabrics as if it gets ruined I don't care as much. I have made some simple and adorable alphabet quilts to go along with the fancy quilts I have made each grandchild and niece.
    Old 05-05-2011, 05:41 AM
    MTS
    Banned

Originally Posted by Anne Marie
    My grandbaby's room is decorated with robots and space invaders. I've had some luck finding fabrics but never saw these before. Can you tell me who makes them? I would love to make a quilt or wall hanging like yours.
    Isn't it fabulous?

The name of line is "Alien Invasion" by Moda(!!) and it's about 4 years old. Maybe even older. The quilt I used it in orginally was made around then. Who knows how long the fabric was on the shelf?

There are pieces around at various shops.
    I'm not going to post all the links here, you'll have to do the legwork.
    But you should be able to cobble together at least the main pieces by searching these two sites:
    http://quiltshops.com/
    http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/

When I looked yesterday, I saw the robots, dots and rings. The dot and ring fabrics are incredibly versatile and can pretty much work any collection of brights you might have on hand. So it's really easy to "beef" up the quilt without buying a ton of new fabrics.
    One site, I think, had the lime green rings on sale for under $5/yard.

Have fun!
    Old 05-05-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
    Originally Posted by Anne Marie
    My grandbaby's room is decorated with robots and space invaders. I've had some luck finding fabrics but never saw these before. Can you tell me who makes them? I would love to make a quilt or wall hanging like yours.
    Isn't it fabulous?

The name of line is "Alien Invasion" by Moda(!!) and it's about 4 years old. Maybe even older. The quilt I used it in orginally was made around then. Who knows how long the fabric was on the shelf?

There are pieces around at various shops.
    I'm not going to post all the links here, you'll have to do the legwork.
    But you should be able to cobble together at least the main pieces by searching these two sites:
    http://quiltshops.com/
    http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/

When I looked yesterday, I saw the robots, dots and rings. The dot and ring fabrics are incredibly versatile and can pretty much work any collection of brights you might have on hand. So it's really easy to "beef" up the quilt without buying a ton of new fabrics.
    One site, I think, had the lime green rings on sale for under $5/yard.

Have fun!
    Thanks!!!!!
    Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 AM

They love it and seem to want it to be display for all to see. Be honor.
    Old 05-05-2011, 06:52 AM

If the baby is still small, the bright colors will attract his eye and give him something to focus on, and maybe later they will use it for a nap quilt. I made a baby quilt and they also hung it on the wall in the baby's room. Once you give it away it is up to that person how it is used. Just keep quilting!
    Old 05-05-2011, 06:56 AM

I consider it a compliment that they want to display it for now. Eventually they may end up using it for the baby, but it looks great in the nursery, I'm sure. And yes, at least it's not put away & forgotten, it is being used, & shown off even!...
    Old 05-05-2011, 07:00 AM

At least you know they love it, it is a compliment! Make another one and tell them they have to use it!
    Old 05-05-2011, 07:11 AM

While the quilt that was made to be used and keep them warm, is a nice idea, just think of the hours of enjoyment it will have just looking at it. I made a quilt for a paraplegic but come to find out she couldn't use it as intended because they needed to make sure she didn't get too warm, so they hung it on the wall and said it really cheered up the room a lot! Jan
    Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 AM

I love when the kids drag it around and wrap their toys in it while they watch TV and HAVE to take it camping... :thumbup:
    Old 05-05-2011, 08:06 AM

When I want to be sure the quilt is used by the little one, I put a note in the package that says it is not meant to be an heirloom, but is instead a *utility* quilt that is to be snuggled with, barfed on, and dragged around to make tents, etc. I tell the parents that if it falls apart, I will make another one as the child grows.

But I do think it is a compliment to put it on the wall and make a fun nursery decoration! It's so cute.