Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Craftsy classes >
  • Craftsy classes

• Craftsy classes

Old 05-26-2014, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    I just don't understand why quilters don't sign up for classes at your local quilt store. And then I see post of these stores closing. I could NOT log on to Craftsy that last time I tried. Don't know if it was a technical problem with their servers or what. Sorry, I don't mean to be negative.
    Not all of us have quilt shops that offer classes and not all classes are available for those who work outside the home--as many of the classes are only offered during the working day. The Craftsy classes are available any time of the day.
    Old 05-26-2014, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by pokeygirl
    I tried watching FMQ with Leah Day and I got so irritated because of all the skipping and her talking too slow. I bought the class over a year ago and they have since changed it somewhat. She has a you tube for free. I opted to watch that one. I found what I was looking for very fast. Sorry, don't need to be negative, either.
    Turning the HD off helps as well as viewing with Google Chrome. I usually will go forward with Leah Day as she talks too much and I just want her to get on with it.
    Old 05-26-2014, 07:58 AM

I would suggest you listen to the demo if one is available before you sign up for the actual class. The voice and attitude of one of the instructors drove me crazy. I got my$$ back. All other classes have been very good.
    Old 05-26-2014, 09:04 AM

Definitely a thumbs up from me. I have taken several classes and each one has a wealth of knowledge. I find that I return many times to look at my 'saved' classes.
    Old 05-26-2014, 12:05 PM

I prefer craftsy because I have to drive 70 miles to quilt shop and so many of their classes are in the afternoon for 2 or 3 hours and then weekly for 2 to 3 weeks so plus packing all my stuff it is just easier to stay in my sewing room besides I always have the class to refer back to
    Old 05-26-2014, 01:33 PM

i have watched many of the craftsy classes - quilting and others. I have been sewing for over 50 years but there are so many things to learn. I especially like the ready to wear alterations classes. My daughters are professionals and wear expensive clothing. One started going to the gym last year and changed her shaped in several ways. I found Angela Wolfes classes unbelievably good - and straight forward. I have enjoyed working on the alterations so much I keep asking my daughter for more things to work on. One of the best tips ever was to replace your seam ripper!!! How old is your seam ripper? It only costs a couple bucks and a new one makes all the difference in the world!!!
    Old 05-26-2014, 01:40 PM

I work 9 - 14 hour days 6 days a week. The craftsy classes allow me to watch them on my time schedule and repeat sections that I later realize I was too tired for the first time! I only buy them when they are on sale. My LQS only has classes during the day and are very expensive. That is great for the people who can use them. I agree that the best way to learn is to have an instructor right next to you helping and advising, but not all of us can do it that way.
    Old 05-26-2014, 03:18 PM

the fear is signing up for too many classes. I learned to knit with a Craftsy class. I found I never used some of the classes I signed up for and contacted them. They let me exchange those classes for other ones.
    Old 05-26-2014, 05:10 PM

The Crafty classes I have viewed have been relaxing, noncritical, not rushed, and the presenters are not novice; they come with quilting backgrounds, published books and magazine articles, blogs, tutorials, teaching, and know the quilting topic presented.
    Old 05-26-2014, 06:38 PM

"I just don't understand why quilters don't sign up for classes at your local quilt store. And then I see post of these stores closing. I could NOT log on to Craftsy that last time I tried. Don't know if it was a technical problem with their servers or what. Sorry, I don't mean to be negative."

in my case, mine doesn't teach quilting, they are into knitting. I do participate in BOM most every year, but no lessons there either, we are on our own. And, I also work full time so even if there were quilting classes, I would not be able to go. The next nearest quilt shop is 90 miles away. Some of us live in the center of the country quite literally in the middle of no-where!