Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Craftsy Classes---What Have You Taken? >
  • Craftsy Classes---What Have You Taken?

• Craftsy Classes---What Have You Taken?

Old 03-27-2013, 04:46 PM

Default Craftsy Classes---What Have You Taken?

I love Craftsy classes! I have enrolled for eight, have completed two. Two are with Jenny Doan on quilting quickly with precuts. Another one is machine quilting and goes into detailed FMQ. I'm currently taking a class with Leah Day on FMQ. I'm still on the first lesson and have learned so much already! I'm even thinking of trying a crochet class. Whoever developed this concept is a genius!
    Old 03-27-2013, 04:47 PM

I watched the free classes and liked them
    Old 03-27-2013, 05:03 PM

I am taking a basic class on machine quilting. I have learned a few things so far but not much.
    I have taken the Angela waters class on FMQ and will probably review that a million times; loved that class.
    I will take more in the future.
    Old 03-27-2013, 06:22 PM

I've signed up for two but haven't started them yet. One is Leah Day's fmq class. Am looking forward to them if I ever get time to do them!
    Old 03-27-2013, 06:40 PM

I think I have 13 different classes. I have not quite half that are free. In the past 6 months I purchased mastering paper piecing,
    Civil war blocks, magical jelly roll quilts and one that just came out about using precuts. The video quality on the precut one was terrible. All others have been great.
    Old 03-27-2013, 06:47 PM

I'm signed up for but not completed both of Leah Day's classes, the one on quilting big quilts on DSM, and Weeks Ringle's modern design class. It's good that you can go through all of the lessons on your own time, but bad because you don't have a scheduled time to just show up and do it - self disciplined I am not. I really like them and am learning some good stuff. I'm toying with the sewing class for the naughty librarian blouse - I know how to sew, but really love that top and think I might learn some fitting tips. Not enough time in the day to do it all.
    Old 03-27-2013, 06:52 PM

I love the Craftsy classes! I have signed up for almost all of the quilting classes; but haven't finished most of them. Jenny Doan's classes are two that I have finished; but keep going back to time after time. I am taking two of Leah Day's classes. I still do not enjoy stippling and am not good at it; but I have learned to do great SITD with FMQ thanks to Leah. I made the Chain of Stars Mystery Quilt, lack one block finishing a Civil Wars Quilt, and have made numerous quilts in various Craftsy classes. I have learned so much from those classes. I like having them on my iPad and being able to play back a lesson as I work on it at my sewing machine. I like the fact that I can access a lesson any time, day or night, and I can have that lesson in my sewing room. I don't have to pack up my equipment and take it somewhere. I also like the printed material that comes with the lessons. The free BOM classes are great. I have learned so much from them as I made blocks that I would never have tried otherwise. I keep going back to last year's BOM when I forget how to paper piece or how to do English paper piecing.

Because I have signed up for so many classes; but haven't finished most of them, I have decided that from now on, I will complete one lesson each day. That way, maybe I will eventually finish all of them. The only thing is that they are constantly coming out with classes I want to take. This week I ordered fabric for a class I haven't even signed up for. I wait to sign up when they have the class really reduced; but I have learned that if you want fabric like the instructor, you have to order it quickly. I have learned all that I know about quilting from the wonderful people on this Board and from Craftsy.
    Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 PM

I love how many free video lessons are on the internet. I have learned and tried skills, and I am surprised how easy most are...even if tedious. I agree that it is easy to accumulate "watching" and fail to "try". Linus Quilts has benefited from my scrap "trials" that actually turn out!
    Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 PM

Haven't tried these, but after all of the good reviews I am on my way to check them out.
    Old 03-28-2013, 01:29 AM

I'm taking the Quilting Quickly class with Jenny Doan and how to use precuts. It's great. She starts with basic information about equipment and then goes into explanations of precuts and she does a bunch of different projects. I have been enjoying it.