Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Crayola Ultra Washable markers test + results! >
  • Crayola Ultra Washable markers test + results!

• Crayola Ultra Washable markers test + results!

Old 11-17-2016, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by NatalieF
    I did a test to see if the Crayola Ultra Washable markers would wash out or set if ironed. I took my test a bit to the extreme, in the sense that I marked darker than I usually would (went over each mark an extra time, so double the ink) and ironed longer than I usually would (I set the iron for a good 10 to 15 seconds on the marks without moving), and washed afterwards with just water and no soap. My iron was at it's hottest setting. The fabric is 100% cotton. I hope this helps others.

on the steam setting, it ran the ink a bit, but nothing horrible. The red and pink left a ghost of a mark which I pointed out with arrows as I'm not sure it will show up on the monitor. They probably would have come out had I used soap. Nonetheless I would probably steer away from those colors, to be on the safe side.
    GREAT THREAD!!!! Thank you all for your feedback on these markers. You should be a product tester for Consumer Reports! I bet if you wrote this up into an article, one of the quilting magazines would print it! Send the information to the Crayola folks, too. They may send you tons of extra pens to pass out to your guild groups. :-)
    Old 11-17-2016, 05:30 PM

Thank you!
    Old 11-18-2016, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by mac
    Can you order them on Amazon? or EBay?
    Hi Mac,

i looked on Amazon and they were £42.00, then if you add the shipping, customs and duty along with the £12.00 The post office will charge for collecting the customs and duty it makes them one very very very expensive set of markers! Probably £60 or there abouts.

Hugs

Caroline
    Old 11-18-2016, 09:35 PM

I did a test to see if the Crayola Ultra Washable markers would wash out or set if ironed. I took my test a bit to the extreme, in the sense that I marked darker than I usually would (went over each mark an extra time, so double the ink) and ironed longer than I usually would (I set the iron for a good 10 to 15 seconds on the marks without moving), and washed afterwards with just water and no soap. My iron was at it's hottest setting. The fabric is 100% cotton. I hope this helps others.

on the steam setting, it ran the ink a bit, but nothing horrible. The red and pink left a ghost of a mark which I pointed out with arrows as I'm not sure it will show up on the monitor. They probably would have come out had I used soap. Nonetheless I would probably steer away from those colors, to be on the safe side.
    I used orange on a half square triangle and panicked when it did not come out with just water. However, when I washed the quilt normally with detergent, all of the marks disappear. Soap seems to be crucial.
    Old 11-18-2016, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by pandamommy
    I did find they don't come out with a damp cloth. I don't always wash my quilts when I'm done with them
    Same here, but I do wash my quilts before gifting. All marks are gone after washing/drying.
    Old 11-19-2016, 04:22 PM
    mac

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
    Hi Mac,

i looked on Amazon and they were £42.00, then if you add the shipping, customs and duty along with the £12.00 The post office will charge for collecting the customs and duty it makes them one very very very expensive set of markers! Probably £60 or there abouts.

Hugs

Caroline
    Ouch! Good grief, that is one hefty price. Do you know anyone taking a trip to the USA? They would make a fine souvenir from the States.
    Old 11-19-2016, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the helpful info
    Old 02-11-2017, 04:09 AM

I am going to purchase some of these right away!!! Thanks so much for sharing this info! I was at a quilt retreat and saw a lady with a chalk doodad that had yellow chalk in it. it was such a fine line, and she just brushed it away. She advised me that it just washes out also. I came home and found it on Amazon and I must say I really like it for dark fabrics!!

Old 04-11-2017, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the test and results! I found some on sale and remembered this thread so I bought them. I feel pretty confident that it will work well for me too.
    Old 04-11-2017, 11:46 AM
    Power Poster

My tests were on the grands clothes, hair, bodies, furniture, dog..... They have shoebox bin full of them. I use the blue color the most on my quilts.