Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • crazy quilt sort of >
  • crazy quilt sort of

• crazy quilt sort of

Old 07-22-2011, 11:56 AM
    Power Poster

Beautiful, I like the second one the best.
    Old 07-22-2011, 01:15 PM
    Jim

It is called Stack and Whack...not all formulations of the stack and whack are the same...I made one after watching an episode of Alex Anderson before she and Ricky Tims joined forces..she had the little older woman Mary Ellen( cant remember her last name)on, teaching this method. I had 9 different fabrics in 9 inch squares...one of each color stacked and made 5 or 6 cuts in each stack...I moved one piece of fabric from top to bottom of one cut...then took the second piece to the bottom...then next the third and so forth to each stack of blocks until I had them all cut and moved into the correct order. I then placed each stack into a baggie until they were sewn...after trimming I had enough blocks to make a HUGE quilt and no two blocks were alike...
    Old 07-22-2011, 01:56 PM

The design you are wanting is known by many different names.

You don't even need a pattern. You can draw your own. In which case it helps to know where you are cutting by measuring on the outside edge - like registration marks in sewing/embroidery.

ex:
    1st cut: 2" up from Right lower corner to 4" down from Left upper corner.
    2nd cut: 4" down from Right upper corner to mid Left side.
    etc.

However, if you start with a 16" square your finished result will be much smaller due to the seam allowances. Unless you add borders or sashing, which definitely give it a different look.

ali
    Old 07-22-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jim
    It is called Stack and Whack...not all formulations of the stack and whack are the same...I made one after watching an episode of Alex Anderson before she and Ricky Tims joined forces..she had the little older woman Mary Ellen( cant remember her last name)on, teaching this method. I had 9 different fabrics in 9 inch squares...one of each color stacked and made 5 or 6 cuts in each stack...I moved one piece of fabric from top to bottom of one cut...then took the second piece to the bottom...then next the third and so forth to each stack of blocks until I had them all cut and moved into the correct order. I then placed each stack into a baggie until they were sewn...after trimming I had enough blocks to make a HUGE quilt and no two blocks were alike...
    Yes - that is exactly how I learned. It was called a Stack n Whack then. My couch quilt is brown red and cream done this way - fast and easy and makes you look like you know what you are doing!
    Old 07-22-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by pamelainsa
    The picture was sort of what I was thinking of but without the black between the pieces.
    Old 07-22-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    stack & whack
    These are what I know Stack 'n Whack to look like.
    Oops, wouldn't post link. I googled S'nW and got images by Bethany Reynolds. She published a couple of books on them. Yes, she was on SQ with Alex Anderson at least once. All of the shapes are 60 degree triangles, and not random cut ups. ;-)
    Old 07-23-2011, 03:11 AM

Another name for it is Kwik Krazy Kwilt. I have the pattern but can't put my hands on it now to give you the designer. You can probably Google it.
    Old 07-23-2011, 03:14 AM

Mary Ellen HOPKINS. My hero! Let her name not be forgotten.
    Old 07-23-2011, 03:18 AM

Last year I made a 9-piece shuffle. I can see that it could be done with 12. For the 9-piece, you stack 9 different squares of fabric and cut them 2 times vertically and 2 time hort. creating 9 stacks of fabric. To shuffle, starting at the lower right, take the top piece and place it on the bottom of the stack. From the next stack take the top 2 pieces and place on bottom. Then from the 3rd stack take the top 3 and place on the bottom. Move back to the first stack of the second row and continue until you get to the last stack on the top row and leave it in place. You should have 9 different layers. Next sew each layer together and you will have nine different blocks.

Nine-Piece Shuffle
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]230510[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-230504.jpe  
    Old 07-23-2011, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by colwoods
    Another name for it is Kwik Krazy Kwilt. I have the pattern but can't put my hands on it now to give you the designer. You can probably Google it.

We made this pattern for our guild monthly project earlier this year. Each time we cut, we moved the top piece to the bottom and our cuts were more angular. If I remember correctly, I cut mine three times for larger pieces in the block. I haven't finished mine as yet as I plan to embroider over the seams like a real crazy quilt. It was a quick project and fun.