Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Crazy Quilted >
  • Crazy Quilted

• Crazy Quilted

Old 11-16-2010, 03:06 AM

To make a crazy quilted jacket do you use a special ruler for cutting? If so what one? I want to put this on my list and hope to get it for christmas. I think this would make nice gifts for my family next year.
    Old 11-16-2010, 04:38 AM

No idea ? a book for crazy quilting
    Old 11-16-2010, 10:07 AM

Do you mean to cut out and make the crazy block itself or to cut the shape of the jacket? For the block I use the same ruler and rotary cutter as for all blocks. To cut out the pattern, scissors are fine. If you are looking for a gift to put on your list, new scissors, ruler(the 12 1/2" squares are really nice) or rotary blades are always good. The jacket idea for your family for next year sounds great, you'll get an early start.
    Old 11-16-2010, 10:11 AM

Old crazy's were just cut and sewed to muslin depending on the size of scrap you had - hence crazy. You could just take all of your scraps and sew them together to make a huge crazy piece of material and then use a pattern to cut out the jackets. I think that may be the easiest way.
    Old 11-16-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    Old crazy's were just cut and sewed to muslin depending on the size of scrap you had - hence crazy. You could just take all of your scraps and sew them together to make a huge crazy piece of material and then use a pattern to cut out the jackets. I think that may be the easiest way.
    ==============================
    Yeah, what she said. I agree, crazy meant any which way. I made one once where I simply sewed patches of whatever shape I could grab each time. All colors of thread too, buttons, lace, rick-rack, anything to add to it. Wears well with jeans and boots. Teens love it, GD has it.
    Old 11-16-2010, 11:05 AM

The jacket pattern can be a sweatshirt, a lightweight jacket, or you can make your own base. It is easiest to make it if you can rip open the seams and have flat surfaces to do the 'crazy' part. The 'crazy' part is when you put on your material on top of this base. I don't use a ruler but free cut as I go, sometimes using a straight edge. I like lots of different shapes and angles.

With mine I started in a flip and sew method. Once it was all done I embellished it with some gold trim from Joann's. Then sewed up the seams and put binding on the outer edges.

There are no rules ... except use a size larger than you expect.

ali
    Old 11-16-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat
    The jacket pattern can be a sweatshirt, a lightweight jacket, or you can make your own base. It is easiest to make it if you can rip open the seams and have flat surfaces to do the 'crazy' part. The 'crazy' part is when you put on your material on top of this base. I don't use a ruler but free cut as I go, sometimes using a straight edge. I like lots of different shapes and angles.

With mine I started in a flip and sew method. Once it was all done I embellished it with some gold trim from Joann's. Then sewed up the seams and put binding on the outer edges.

There are no rules ... except use a size larger than you expect.

ali
    This is what I was meaning. I want to use a sweat shirt and make jackets. I seen some where it looked like it was wider at one end and I thought that people were using a certain ruler for this.