Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Creative quilt labels? >
  • Creative quilt labels?

• Creative quilt labels?

Old 03-17-2016, 10:37 AM

Me, too. If you want to, you can also add a pretty border to the label before printing. The border gives the label a bit more character, too.

If I know who a quilt is going to, then I attach the label to the bacl before I quilt the quilt. I can no longer hand sew due to fibro/arthritis; this way the machine stitching to attach the label doesn't show through on the front of hte quilt.
    Old 03-17-2016, 10:41 AM

My printer started jamming when I tried to put fabric on freezer paper to print the label. Since I switched to the store-bought paper backed fabric, that problem was solved. Of course, I'd rather use the freezer paper and a scrap of fabric, since I already own them...
    Old 03-17-2016, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by OhCanada
    Do you label all your quilts? And how much effort do you put into it? I'm interested in seeing how creative quilters are in labelling their quilts. Do you use embroidery? I don't have a fancy embroidery machine so I'm also interested in seeing labels that people created with their computer and any tips for this method. Any photos you can post are very much appreciated.
    I also number and label all of my quilts. Today am working on #100, "One Hundred Hugs". Seemed like the best one to celebrate. I do labels with my Embroidery Machine, and also, the wheelchair quilts for charity I do the triangle in the corner with the pigment pen. Started quilting when I was 75, six years ago. Never though I would like it, but found my second love, and have learned so much from all of you. Thanks a big Bunch!!

Old 03-17-2016, 02:24 PM
    Power Poster

I try to label all the quilts I make, because as much as I would like to say I would remember which quilt I did when and for whom, but that's not true. I make a simple label "made with (love, in the shape of a heart) by Margaret Dabrowski, Lowell, MA for a special person, baby or more often than not, "made for the Sarringar-Larson Family Reunion, July 4, and the year" - I make one every other year, and it gets raffled off to some lucky family member, although no one in my immediate family has won, I'd like to win one too. I keep it simple, as I don't have a fancy embroidery machine, but I want to make a record for posterity, and hopefully in some small way, I will be remembered too. I guess that's a selfish reason, but I'd like to know that somewhere, someone is sleeping under a quilt that I have made.
    Old 03-17-2016, 02:47 PM

What a great question OhCanada! I love to make special labels for my quilts. I have embroidered some, but prefer using a product called Printed Treasures. You design your label on your computer ( I use PowerPoint because it's easy to format) then print on an inkjet printer. You can change up the background or leave it clank. Here are a few that I've done.[ATTACH=CONFIG]545083[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]545084[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]545085[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]545086[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]545087[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Old 03-17-2016, 03:32 PM

I use an embroidery machine to label my quilts/wall hangings. These are 2 that I still have pictures of.
    Attached Thumbnails img_0486.jpg   img_0507.jpg  
    Old 03-17-2016, 05:19 PM

I have been quilting for about 25 years but only started labelling my quilts 2 years ago. Last year I took a Craftsy class by Cindy Needham and she suggested using doilies for labels. So I have been scouring second-hand stores and estate sales for these special labels. I look for ones with a solid center and pretty, colorful embroidery on the edges. Such a great idea! Thanks Cindy.
    Old 03-19-2016, 04:12 AM

Great topic! I have used a product designed to run through a printer but didn't care for the stiffness which was really tough to handsew to the quilt. I'm really happy to know to more about the product Quilterafloat uses. Is it stiff to handsew on? Also, how does it handle being washed? The product I have used looks like crinkled paper after washing.
    Old 03-19-2016, 05:10 AM

I'm floored by everyone's inventiveness and creativity when it comes to labeling their quilts. They are all so beautiful! As much as I love them all, the simplicity of QuiltsRFun is the one that speaks to me personally. Just a little label tucked unobtrusively in the corner.
    Old 03-21-2016, 08:23 AM

I TRY to label each quilt.
    Back story:
    I was very involved with basenjis (dogs) and then had a traumatic brain injury. I did not feel comfortable making decisions regarding breeding, showing and puppy placement so I no longer was so involved. But, I retained the ability to sew as I did before. ( I retained all my old brain memories I had before, but new ones, not so reliably)
    So I use a little basenji pup in my label and call my quilts Rugosa Creations (Rugosa was my kennel name)
    I still make many quilts that help the basenji breed.
    Attached Thumbnails image25.jpg