Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Creativity >
  • Creativity

• Creativity

Old 07-14-2011, 05:39 AM

I think the more things you do, the better you get, at least you get better at knowing what you like, and I think that is the key.
    Old 07-14-2011, 05:42 AM

Fabrics have colored dots on the selvage. These dots show the colors that went into the fabric. Try to match fabrics to the colored dots.
    Old 07-14-2011, 05:49 AM

You'll get there. It will all come to you as you progress and keep looking and trying. Pay particular attention to pictures of quilts that you like and dislike. Discover the whys of your likes and dislikes and that tells you which direction you need to go in.
    Old 07-14-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jerse
    I only came to realize recently that I'm short in the creativity area and seem to be pretty bad at recognizing how colors and patterns go together. When I look at color charts I can see how one would compliment another but then find that that's not necessarily a good combination for a particular quilt. HELP!!
    On choosing colors for quilts, the fabric companies usually can help us with that. First, pick a focus fabric with a lovely print, then look at the selvedge edge where the design information is printed...see the dots of color going on there? Those are the colors used in making that fabric and if you use them to find other fabrics for your quilt, it makes the process easier. (If you use the 5th dot of color as your "punch" color it's :thumbup: )

Also, your local quilt shop can help you with your fabric selections and tell you why the colors work together or why they don't while you train your eye. This is where a LQS stands head and shoulders above JoAnn's and Wal~Mart and it is an invaluable resource for all quilters!

Above all, have fun and relax...it's not brain surgery and no one will die if you make a mistake of any kind with choosing your fabric or pattern! :D
    Old 07-14-2011, 07:44 AM

All good advice above!!! Welcome from Illinois.
    Old 07-14-2011, 07:52 AM

when it comes to color matching, you can't beat the paint swatches at your nearest home depot or lowes - they are usually coordinated and dont mind you taking a few strips at at time! tlhe hardest part is deciding what pattern to use. my suggestion is to start with a simple one (courthouse steps is quick and easy) then just go with your favorite colors and fabrics! good luck
    Old 07-14-2011, 07:55 AM

CKCowl, I see you said you print out in grayscale to check colors. Someone else asked what grayscale is and I was also wondering what you refer to. Thanks....
    Old 07-14-2011, 07:56 AM

I would begin with a simple two color quilt pattern...baby size. Then progress to three colors. Or, choose a print that you like and pick colors from within that print. Incidentally, I should mention, that most of us, including myself, have been in your position. Go for it......
    Old 07-14-2011, 09:13 AM

Why not try the rule of three when choosing fabrics....
    The rule of three means what ever part of element of the design you are working on choose three to work with.
    For example:
    color value; light, medium, dark
    size of fabric pattern; small, medium, large
    Pattern elements; curvey, geometric, solid or works as solid
    You can mix hues of the same color family as long as one of the mix has some yellow in it. For example all kinds of red as long as one is an orangie red, all blues as long as one is a blue/green, or greens as long as one is a limey green.
    Add a little pure yellow to the mix if you can, like choosing a large scale print that has a strong yellow element.
    Try not to get too matchy matchy as it tends to blur the pattern when viewed from a distance, same with choosing too many medium values even though you have lots differing hues. Mix it up with different hues or values of the same color.
    A good trick in choosing colors is to look through the view finder of a camera at the fabrics you are considering using, do they mush together...too many of the same value, is one overpowering the others, choose a lighter or darker value.
    Look for a zinger fabric that makes the others sing in harmony.
    And the most important rule is....It is your quilt so do it your way and if you are happy then all is well. :thumbup:
    Old 07-14-2011, 09:23 AM

I do it as I go and once in a while I get into trouble. I'm on my fifth quilt this year and have had fun.
    I just
    let the creativity flow. My fifth one is just beautiful, if I say so myself. They are all Christmas presents. Don't be afraid to try something new.