Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Creativity >
  • Creativity

• Creativity

Old 07-14-2011, 02:39 PM
    Power Poster

Sometimes I think taking a quilt class or two may be all you need to start the wheels in motion. I do know that many times I've heard quilt teachers say that if you don't know what colors go with what, pick out a focus fabric, then look at the salvege edge where there are color dots showing the colors used in the print. That will tell you what colors will work with that fabric.
    Old 07-14-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jerse
    I really like the wedding ring quilt. Recently I saw an easy version; does this sound like a good one to begin with?
    I would avoid doing something with curves to begin with. Start with something small- like a baby quilt- that has a simple, straight-edge pattern. Squares or rectangles would be simple. Don't overwhelm yourself with a complicated pattern while you're trying to learn the basics of quiltmaking.

As far as color, a fun way to figure that out would be to just browse through some fabrics until you find a print that you like, that has at least a few different colors in it. Then pick some fabrics based on the colors that are in your original piece of fabric. For instance, say you chose a floral fabric that consisted of green, purple, pink, and cream- you could then look for some fabrics that coordinated with those colors.

Two hints about that- first, try to find fabrics that are not all the same value. Meaning, mix some variety of lights, mediums, darks. They don't have to be extreme opposites, but try to avoid all pale shades or all darks- having some variety in value makes it more interesting to look at. Second, vary the "busyness" of the prints- If all of your prints are super boisterous, the quilt will look very chaotic. And if they are all solid colors, it will look flat and boring. So mix it up a bit.

Sorry, didn't mean to make this so long, hopefully I haven't overwhelmed you! The main thing is that it should be FUN and just view every project as an opportunity to learn something new! The more you do it, the better you'll get. Just jump in and have fun! : )
    Old 07-14-2011, 03:06 PM

....I only came to realize recently that I'm short in the creativity area and seem to be pretty bad at recognizing how colors and patterns go together....
    Welcome to the forum. Ask away and no question is a dumb one. When I first started quilting it took me 3 hours to pick out 3 fabrics!! I used to make clothing so puting 3 patterns went against me. Now I laugh. Pick out a light, medium and dark that is how I usually start out. To make it easier on the pocket book, try table runners. Something small and fast.

piney
    Old 07-14-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    it just takes time-practice- suggestions- advice- and sometimes the help of a color wheel.

all that being said-
    look at nature-
    in nature colors you would (think) could never be together go together wonderfully- look at the sky- if you tried to paint it = it would look- fake- but if is not fake it is beautifully painted!

i used to always have to ask the guys in the family to pull fabrics for me for a new quilt- they seemed so good at it= then dog-gone it they grew up and moved away- leaving me to have to figure it out all by myself-
    one thing that can help is to do what other (artists) do=
    disregard color- use a gray scale- and design your quilt using VALUES- without worry about color-
    as in...separate your fabrics according to light-medium-dark---sometimes i will lay out my fabrics with a couple inches of each showing and take a picture- then print it in grayscale- if a fabric does not (work) it becomes quite evident.
    and all colors/prints can go into a quilt together as long as the values are balanced. with time you will find it easier and easier to choose fabrics.

A quilter told me if I wasn't sure about values put a range of folded fabrics (overlapping folds) on a printer bed in the order you want. Copy it in black and white. The result will give you a clearer picture of the values of your chosen fabrics.

I hope this helps.
    Old 07-14-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by MargeD
    Sometimes I think taking a quilt class or two may be all you need to start the wheels in motion. I do know that many times I've heard quilt teachers say that if you don't know what colors go with what, pick out a focus fabric, then look at the salvege edge where there are color dots showing the colors used in the print. That will tell you what colors will work with that fabric.
    I was at a log cabin workshop recently with a woman who had never quilted before. The woman had a handful of fabrics that she liked, but they didn't seem to go together...one in particular. Long story short, her project turned out beautifully. It was a matter of moving the fabric pieces into different positions until the the colors were pleasing.
    Old 07-14-2011, 04:35 PM

I go to the library to go thru all the quilting magazines and books...gets me goin'
    Old 07-14-2011, 04:40 PM

This is why I buy kits or follow patterns, helps me with some of that stuff
    Old 07-14-2011, 06:43 PM

I quilted for 10 years by copying other peoples quilts & then my DIL started quilting with me & really blasted me out of my doldrums. I wish I had gotten started earlier with her as you can really bond when you work together on quilts. Just let go & do it!!!
    Old 07-14-2011, 07:53 PM

a good way to learn is if you have a LQS that is offering a quilt lesson. It helps, and you learn a lot of ways to do the piecing, etc. When you start to make quilt blocks you will get addicted to it. I know
    Old 07-14-2011, 09:12 PM

Have never made a quilt and only recently joined the forum. As I've stated I'm not good with the computer and it took me 3 days to read all the help topics and rules.

I've studied "quilting" on the internet, read books and magazines, asked questions, and done practice blocks till I'm blue in the face. I only came to realize recently that I'm short in the creativity area and seem to be pretty bad at recognizing how colors and patterns go together. When I look at color charts I can see how one would compliment another but then find that that's not necessarily a good combination for a particular quilt. HELP!!
    My favorite way to chose colors for a quilt, is to find a print I really like, then find fabrics that match the colors in the print. Works for me. I have no color sense either. When I start making the blocks, if I decide I don't like it, Oh well, charity quilt!