Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Creativity >
  • Creativity

• Creativity

Old 07-14-2011, 09:19 PM

just start off following patterns and instructions and youll grow into it and have beautiful quilts to show for your learning process. ive been quilting around 6 yrs and i still follow patterns mostly although i occasionally wing it
    or get carried away with color choices. i like the traditional styles and blocks for the most part. ive learned from experience when you do your own thing your own way the most important person is happy, you !!!!
    by the way when i started quilting i couldnt even thread my own machine the teacher i took my first classes from really earned every dollar !!! im still not an expert by any means
    but i love quilting and will quilt til i cant do it anymore.
    carla
    Old 07-14-2011, 09:20 PM

The first is to realize that -- there are no rules. That can be hard to believe because you'll get close to 20 ideas from 20 quilters.
    Find a pattern/block that interests you. Pick out colors that you like, that work for your home, your tastes. Give it a try. If you don't like what you make, learn from it.
    I can still make an ugly quilt! The fabric looked good next to each other, but in the block--eww!
    Quilt because it is enjoyable to you. You'll do fine-- you started out right-- you're on this board that will help you grow and give you support. good Luck!
    Old 07-15-2011, 04:42 AM

...........all of the above, and just love it!
    Old 07-15-2011, 07:41 AM

I think you may be trying too hard, been there, done that. I always had to ask my sister if I had the right things together. Finally she said, "Do it yourself". That was a good thing. I get a little better each time. Sometimes I just go with whatever the pattern shows. Sign up for the quilting catalogs that we all get in the mail. They have absolutely wonderful color combos. Sometimes I even tear out a page with colors that are beautiful to me. Don't be so hard on yourself. Trust your instinct. Usually the first or second color scheme that you lay out is the one to go with. I squint my eyes to see the lights, mediums, and darks, etc. Just go with it, dive in and have fun. It will fall together, and the light will go on for you soon. Have faith in yourself. You are creative. You just need to let it out and have fun.
    "TO HAVE A CREATIVE LIFE, WE MUST LOSE OUR FEAR OF BEING WRONG"
    Old 07-15-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by amma
    Some people follow patterns, some will make a few alterations, some totally wing it.

Keep asking questions, reading, observing :D If we could all do this for every quilt we make, patterns would be totally unnecessary :D:D:D
    hang in there! you'll get it! I usually just wing it! I put 2 fabrics next to each other and say, that looks good then cut and sew. Sometimes I don't like them right away, but they tend to grow on you, and once you're done with the blocks and put them together, they're really pretty. Try sewing your practice blocks together to make a sampler. Then it doesn't matter if your colors don't look perfect together.
    Old 07-15-2011, 08:08 AM

I love colors, my mind visualizes colors that I would like to use for a specific project. I don't use a color wheel, I may look at it afterwards. I make my own choices. My first quilt I went overboard on patterns. 2nd one, got the colors I liked, they blended nicely, but, when it came to the backing took me almost 3 mths to decide
    Just go with the flow, what you like and in your eyes look good together, and go with it.
    Old 07-15-2011, 10:29 AM

Wow! Can't believe all the welcome posts and help with my creativity problem. So after reading over and over I've decided to do a 2-color quilted wall hanging for my first attempt. What do you think?
    Old 07-15-2011, 10:52 AM
    LDB

Ya, you betcha! Great starting point.
    Old 07-15-2011, 07:43 PM

Thanks much, I'll give it a try....very interesting. I love quilting but have a hard time trying to figure out what material colors go together. This might be just what I need.
    Old 07-15-2011, 07:56 PM

I think choosing a focus fabric print works for an easy quilt. Then choose colors from that focus fabric to go along with it. You know it will work together because the colors all go together. Just make sure you have some lighter values, some medium and some darks.