Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Creativity >
  • Creativity

• Creativity

Old 07-16-2011, 05:15 PM

put your colors together then walk away for a while, then rearrange them or change some. Most of all, if it looks good to you then it is. good luck
    Old 07-16-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jerse
    Have never made a quilt and only recently joined the forum. As I've stated I'm not good with the computer and it took me 3 days to read all the help topics and rules.

I've studied "quilting" on the internet, read books and magazines, asked questions, and done practice blocks till I'm blue in the face. I only came to realize recently that I'm short in the creativity area and seem to be pretty bad at recognizing how colors and patterns go together. When I look at color charts I can see how one would compliment another but then find that that's not necessarily a good combination for a particular quilt. HELP!!
    I sorta teaching quilting (through my church) and I always recommend that new quilters own and READ a copy of Fons & Porter's "Quilter's Complete Guide". It tells you how color works along with block assistance and "get started" tips. I would highly recommend that as a place to start.

Good luck!
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:44 PM

Pick out an easy pattern and get help at the quilt store to pick fabrics you like and just go for it. I had no pattern and just picked a bunch of fabrics and decided I would do a quilt for my granddaughter. It was a 4 patch with squares in between. Super simple and most of the fabrics were from JoAnn's and Walmart. It turned out fine and has been washed a billion times and is still holding up. Go for it.
    Old 07-18-2011, 03:35 AM

Jerse, I'd look at kits first and see what appeals to you. Decide what would go with your decor. It depends upon the quilt and where the quilt will be placed. Most quilt shops have several displays in various colors. I always see something I like looking at their displays.
    Also, look at the pictures on the QB. There are many gorgeous quilts made by the members that are quilts on my 'to do' list.
    Enjoy. Eiltcoq.
    Old 07-19-2011, 04:42 PM

Grayscale - Working with Dunster's pattern
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-229066.jpe  
    Old 07-19-2011, 04:47 PM

Please be kind to a newbie - what is the purpose?
    Old 07-19-2011, 04:51 PM

I crochet a lot and one time decided to use up some of my left over yarn. Didn't think it would amount to much but didn't want to waste it. Before I knew it I had a very nice afghan. I'm going to try something simple with left over scraps just to get an idea of what goes with what.
    Old 07-20-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jerse
    Please be kind to a newbie - what is the purpose?
    If you have trouble deciding the lightness & darkness of the colors you want to use making a black & white or gray scale copy helps. You can see the value of the colors you're using easier.
    Old 07-25-2011, 06:13 PM

For a while, look at pictures of quilts until you find a few you would really like to have in your house.
    Then pick one and try to copy it. Get a block pattern and use it. Try to be easy on yourself, though, and try to pick a pattern with only a few pieces - like a bear paw/maple leaf, a house, an ohio star or even a one block wonder. Start with only 12 blocks, and make them for a wall hanging. You can always add more!

Learning quilting is a step by step process anyway, for everybody!
    Old 07-25-2011, 06:30 PM

We're all different..10 women..who I've known for years..meet every Weds and work on what we want..help each other and trade off skills..just keep at it..this board is great..I wing it and teach for a LQS..one of them always uses kits..one does all by hand..one just LA quilts..on and on..you'll find your style !!