Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • The 'crinkly' look >
  • The 'crinkly' look

• The 'crinkly' look

Old 05-29-2013, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheUncommonThread
    Thanks for your reply! I did not pre-wash my fabrics for that very reason and I would only ever buy quilting fabric, probably. I just popped some colour catchers in the machine when I washed it and it all came out fine. My second quilt is mostly white with some super bright red and blue, but I'm using Kona Cotton Solids, which I hope will be ok!
    Please don't trust Kona so blindly, you might be sorry. If I were you I would test
    every piece of fabric specially when putting them with white.
    Old 05-29-2013, 04:49 PM

I wasn't very clear. I have used unwashed cotton fabric for the top and either poly or cotton batting and then unwashed flannel on the bottom. Because the flannel is usually looser woven when it is washed and dried I have had a lot more crinkles than when I use cotton fabrics top and bottom One of my DIL's loves the look. The other DIL, alas, buys high dollar comforters from specialty stores. Interestingly her daughter likes quilts.. sigh...
    Originally Posted by adamae
    In future quilts if you use unwashed flannel on the back you will achieve crinkling after you wash it due to difference in shrinkage of front fabric to back fabric. Anyway, that is my experience.
    Old 05-29-2013, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
    100 % cotton batting, 100 % cotton fabric, do not prewash. Quilt it to death! Wash and dry, you should have crinkles!
    I agree with all this. If you want a heavier quilt, use Warm and Natural 100% cotton. I like my quilts a little lighter weight so I use Mountain Mist Cream Rose 100% cotton (I buy at JoAnn's) or Hobbs 100% cotton. Although, account for the shrikage when you make your quilt so that you make it bigger so that when it shrinks, it will be the size you want. I just made two different quilts and used these two different battings to "test" them because I also really like the old fashioned crinkled look. Both brands of these battings both said shrinkage would be 3-5% but when I washed them in warm water and dried them dry, they actually shranki about 10%. Therefore, the end results were that I had quilts that were smaller than I expected them to be after I washed and dried them. Good Luck.
    Old 05-29-2013, 05:24 PM

I think if you do the quilting close together, it crinkles. At least mine did. I was told that the closer the quilting the more it crinkles.
    Old 05-29-2013, 05:33 PM

Well come to the board......a dryer( tumbler.. as an American .. I love that term) will definitely help the crinkle factor
    Old 05-29-2013, 06:06 PM

LOL, lots of advice here, but I think you get the most shrinkage (crinkling) when the quilt is dried in a dryer (tumbler) at the launderette. It is the heat shrinking everything that makes the difference. You could always wash and dry again to see if it makes enough difference.
    Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 PM

I think I'm gonna start saying tumbler. It's more fun. lol
    Old 05-29-2013, 11:50 PM

Thank you all very much for your words of wisdom! I really appreciate every single piece of advice. Now, I'm wondering about this new quilt top I'm working on. The one out of Kona. Should I wash the finished top before I quilt it? Or will it be a nightmare of frays? I've done all the cutting, so it's too late to wash it before cutting and I'm part way through the piecing.

Oh, and I love the idea I might have started a new trend and gotten everyone in the US to say tumbler!
    Old 05-30-2013, 03:01 AM

Welcome to the QB - Looks like you're getting lots of opinions....so I'll just keep mine! Hahaha!

Nan
    Old 05-30-2013, 03:24 AM

Beautiful quilt (for your first, I am impressed!) Welcome from PA.