Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Critical of own  work? >
  • Critical of own work?

• Critical of own work?

Old 07-26-2010, 03:35 AM

I've finally come to the conclusion that what I do is good enough. If there is an error, if I cannot see it from a galloping horse, I don't worry about it. I do agree we are all our worst critics. For years it did bother me to know when something wasn't "just right", however after years of no one else noticing the small errors, I realized life is to short to worry about it. If I like it, who cares if someone else doesn't?
    Old 07-26-2010, 04:42 AM

as the Amish believe there is nothing perfect in this world so you quilt should not be perfect. Use the "Galloping horse" principle. Walk by your quilt very fast and you will probably not see amy mistakes.
    Old 07-26-2010, 05:10 AM

Marianne Fonz said she had never made a perfect quilt, but parts of every quilt she made was perfect.
    Old 07-26-2010, 05:38 AM

That is the best thing about quilting. Only you know where the mistakes are. Others really don't. The important part is for you to remember that you made this piece of art. Please read my phraze under my icon. That is what helped me keep from beating myselt up.
    Old 07-26-2010, 05:50 AM

If someone is riding by on a galloping horse next to your quilt, likely they're just going to kick up and throw mud on it. You tell that rider to keep him and his horse away from your quilt!
    Old 07-26-2010, 05:55 AM

I'm not so much critical of my own work, it's just that I know my limitations. I know what I can do and what I can't. I know there are many quilts that are much better than mine and some that are worse. I'm okay with that because quilting is strictly for my own pleasure and enjoyment. If it becomes a chore than I will move on to something else.
    Old 07-26-2010, 06:10 AM

Hey Ken, My mom always said the same thing! :thumbup:
    Old 07-26-2010, 06:17 AM

I had a friend who was a wonderful cook/baker, but she always found something wrong with everything she made. She frequently sent home her "mistakes" with me for my family to eat, and we never found a thing wrong with them as we devoured them.

Then one day she made me a special cake for our family. I took it home and said who had made it, and my youngest son asked while eating a piece, "What's wrong with it then?" I told her his remark, and she began to see that no one but her found flaws with her wonderful baking and that she was making people look for flaws in her work. It helped, but she never did really believe her cooking was as great as everyone else thought it was. Just human nature!
    Old 07-26-2010, 07:06 AM

When I was a little girl, my big brother told me that the Navajos never made anything perfect, but put a flaw in it. So since my big brother told me and of course he was right, whenever something isn't "perfect", that's one for the Navajos. They could do things perfectly for a long time and still be okay because of my errors! But it made my sewing and knitting more enjoyable! LOL
    Old 07-26-2010, 08:02 AM

You need a copy of my essay for people who are too critical of their own work. It hangs next to my sewing machine, and it keeps things in perspective. If you're interested, PM me, and I'll send it to you. I can't post it because of copyright issues, and I'm sure the moderator would take it down.