Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Critical of own  work? >
  • Critical of own work?

• Critical of own work?

Old 07-26-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by quilterken
    We would never say to another quilter, "you did a crappy job on that one, what were you thinking?"
    I REALLY laughed out loud on that line ... you made my day! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 07-26-2010, 03:50 PM

I have done this in the past. Now I do my best to avoid pointing things out. In the past it would stop me from doing something or completing something. I make more things than anyone in my family (my sister might crochet more than I do but not by much) and give almost all of it away. Everyone is delighted that I thought of them. So I now am operating on the "Just Do It" theory, if you want to do just go ahead and do it. If you enjoy doing it who cares what others think? Those who nitpick everything apart say things because they not able to do what you did anyway!

So now I say Too Bad! So Sad. And I go on and do my own thing.
    Old 07-26-2010, 03:55 PM

Ahhh the ancient Theory of Nike,"Just do It" we should all live by it!

Originally Posted by sew_it_up
    I have done this in the past. Now I do my best to avoid pointing things out. In the past it would stop me from doing something or completing something. I make more things than anyone in my family (my sister might crochet more than I do but not by much) and give almost all of it away. Everyone is delighted that I thought of them. So I now am operating on the "Just Do It" theory, if you want to do just go ahead and do it. If you enjoy doing it who cares what others think? Those who nitpick everything apart say things because they not able to do what you did anyway!

So now I say Too Bad! So Sad. And I go on and do my own thing.
    Old 07-26-2010, 04:15 PM

I agree that we can be way too hard on ourselves about our own work. But don't you think we do it for just about everything - not just our quilting?? Whether it's compliments on a quilt, an outfit, our new couch, the list goes on - we tend to downplay good comments & often (even as said before), disagree with the admirer! Yet if no one said a kind word, we'd be ticked! It's hard to be gracious & humble, but I've found the simplest way to respond is to just smile & say 'Thank you. I really enjoyed making this one'. And be done.
    Old 07-26-2010, 04:32 PM

Ladies, and gents, That's because they're all so beautiful we just can't believe we made it.
    Old 07-26-2010, 04:54 PM

I think sometimes we're so worried that other people will pick up on our mistakes and not mention them, just thinking to themselves that we are clueless and a bad quilter, or something, so we feel like if we point the mistakes out preemptively, they won't think that of us or something.

Recently I had a "humility block" of my own. Didn't notice it until I was done, binding on, label on, everything. I had to practically bite my tongue to keep from pointing it out to the recipient and everyone else. Maybe she noticed, maybe she didn't. No one has mentioned it.
    Old 07-26-2010, 06:31 PM

I had to laugh when I read some of the post...my mom is awful... she can find a flaw in a near perfect piece. I have quit showing her any of my work.. she is my worst critic and has hurt my feelings many times. I am very critical of my work,I have learned to love my flaws and not include my mom.
    Old 07-26-2010, 06:36 PM

I, too, will try to do this. I say try, because it will be a whole new way of life for me! LOL...

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    I agree and will take the oath

I will accept compliments from everyone on my project.
    I will graciously listen to opinions during the quilting process and make my own decisions on changes, if any :).
    I will not point out any flaws to anyone once the project is completed.
    I will tell people "I planned it that way" if they find any flaws. :) :) :)
    Old 07-26-2010, 07:00 PM
    Power Poster

My husband always tells me that if I didn't point out my mistakes (in all things, not just quilting) nobody would notice.
    Old 07-26-2010, 07:12 PM
    Power Poster

I am definitely taking the oath.

It is amazing isn't it, how hard we are on ourselves. I mean, your "self talk" would never be aimed at or uttered to another person, would it?

True, we learn by our mistakes and always strive to improve, but being negative is just paralyzing...and you can't quilt if you are rigid with fear of failure.

Great thread Ken, food for thought indeed!