Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Critical - >
  • Critical -

• Critical -

Old 04-27-2018, 03:46 PM

Context is key. Technically the word "critical" has multiple meanings, and I think all involve some aspect of negativity.

Critical thinking skills are most definitely positive. The ability to analyze the pros and cons is something that can be taught. But there again, analyzing the cons is part of the skill (the negative parts of a situation, proposition, piece of literature, etc).

Critical care--needed for patients who would certainly die without it (and might, in spite of it)

critical spirit---harsh, fault-finding, unable to see the good in someone or something

Oftentimes the words "criticize" is misused for the word "critique." If I asked to be critiqued on something (my work ,my outfit, my writing) I am asking for both positive and negative feedback. No one in his right mind asks for criticism. By the same token, if someone asks for "constructive criticism," he or she should be ready to accept it, regardless if it feels more critical than constructive. Not everyone knows how to be tactful.

Last edited by zozee; 04-27-2018 at 03:46 PM. Reason: duplicate post
    Old 04-27-2018, 03:46 PM
    Power Poster

I try not be critical of someone else's work. I am very critical of my own work until I can't make it any better. Then I just accept it as it is.
    Old 04-27-2018, 04:38 PM

'Critical' hasn't acquired a negative connotation, but it has a negative connotation as its first meaning. I look at my own work with a very critical eye, and I assume most people do the same with their own work, but pointing out the flaws in someone else's work is another matter. If someone shows me their quilt, I assume they're expecting appreciation for what they accomplished. I would only point out flaws in someone else's work if they specifically asked me to do so, and even then I would tread lightly.
    Old 04-28-2018, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    conscience effort to not point out a c
    I think you meant conscientious. Which is to do something according to conscience; scrupulous. We'll blame that on auto-correct, and I love your post. The one who has the right to be critical is the judge, and they usually find something good to mention along with pointing out what could be improved. That's what they are there for.
    Old 04-28-2018, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw
    I think you meant conscientious. Which is to do something according to conscience; scrupulous. We'll blame that on auto-correct, and I love your post. The one who has the right to be critical is the judge, and they usually find something good to mention along with pointing out what could be improved. That's what they are there for.
    I think that writer probably meant a “conscious effort” which makes sense to me.
    Old 04-29-2018, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by junegerbracht
    I think that writer probably meant a “conscious effort” which makes sense to me.
    Makes sense to me, too. Thanks!
    Old 04-29-2018, 06:17 AM

This is exactly what I think of.
    Originally Posted by Boston1954
    The first thing I think of is some poor soul in the hospital.
    Old 04-29-2018, 11:09 AM

[QUOTE=bearisgray;8048383]I think this word has acquired a negative connotation -

I think you're right. It doesn't quite imply critique which I think is very helpful if done in the right spirit. Who of us wants to be known as the Quilt Police?
    Old 04-29-2018, 06:51 PM

I haven't seen the thread for a special board for offering Constructive criticism -- I don't think that is a good idea -- it smells too much like online sites broadcasting "teen bullying" and has been known to result in serious negative psychological impact on young teens and others. Even if I were qualified, which I know I'm not, being a rank amateur, I would not want to participate on such a board, in any capacity. Sorry -- JMHO