Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Crossed sides of fence again >
  • Crossed sides of fence again

• Crossed sides of fence again

Old 07-16-2012, 03:14 PM

Cool Crossed sides of fence again

I have been pressing all my seams open. At a demonstration for a block at quilt guild they said "only finger press until done.". It goes against my grain not to press Big Time. So I stayed on my side of the fence and did it my way. The seams did NOT match up. So I jumped the fence and did it the way they said. THE SEAMS MATCHED PERFECTLY! I admit it "I am a fence jumper," and will probably jump back and forth any number of times on this issue.

This post was written because I was thinking about the post about 'which side are you on'. My comment then was if you only stay on your own side of the fence you miss the view from the other side and the opportunity to visit with the neighbors. Guess I should have added sometimes it's a good idea to at least try any advice offered by said neighbors.
    Old 07-16-2012, 06:11 PM

I often swear by one way and then try the new way and then swear by the new way. Life is funny like that. We just keep learning.
    Old 07-17-2012, 06:01 AM

Don't be afraid to learn something new every day. No matter how old you get or how much experience you have, there are always newer and better ways to do anything. Keeping an open mind and sharing what you know is how we all learn and enjoy quilting or any other craft.

Carol J.
    Old 07-17-2012, 06:11 AM

It is hard to be open to new ideas even in quilting. But when I do I am often surprised at the outcome.
    Old 07-17-2012, 06:18 AM

LOL That's exactly why my answer on that thread was "it depends". Different situations sometimes call for differ ways of doing things. Sometimes it even makes a whole lot of sense to press to the light side!!
    Old 07-17-2012, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle
    I have been pressing all my seams open. At a demonstration for a block at quilt guild they said "only finger press until done.". It goes against my grain not to press Big Time. So I stayed on my side of the fence and did it my way. The seams did NOT match up. So I jumped the fence and did it the way they said. THE SEAMS MATCHED PERFECTLY!
    I know - curiosity killed the cat, but I'm curious anyway! What block was this? I'm trying to figure out why finger pressing vs. normal pressing would make a difference in whether the seams matched. I love to learn something new!
    Old 07-17-2012, 06:31 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by EIQuilter
    I know - curiosity killed the cat, but I'm curious anyway! What block was this? I'm trying to figure out why finger pressing vs. normal pressing would make a difference in whether the seams matched. I love to learn something new!
    I've been wondering the same too!
    So I hope we get an answer .... please SilverNeedle??

Ghostie ... one fo the quilting teachers I've had, always says to let the seams go the way they want to. I never understood her, til one time I was doing a block and discovered how, yes the block was very clear how the seams should be pressed!

Now that I've been doing more of my own quilting, I've taken more note as to the way seams are pressed and how they affect my quilting. So sometimes I determine the direction of pressing, according to the eventual quilting.
    Old 07-17-2012, 07:31 AM
    Power Poster

great statement!!! thanks.