Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Crumb block vs. Crazy quilt block. The difference is...? >
  • Crumb block vs. Crazy quilt block. The difference is...?

• Crumb block vs. Crazy quilt block. The difference is...?

Old 11-27-2011, 01:01 PM

Well for heavens sake! Here I've been making crumb quilts all this time and calling them not quite crazy quilts 'cause I never decorated them with any kind of stitching.
    Old 11-27-2011, 01:11 PM
    Power Poster

For me the biggest difference is that crumb blocks are made of cotton scraps and they have no foundation whereas true crazy quilt blocks contain all sorts of fabrics and they are sewn on foundation pieces.
    Old 11-27-2011, 01:54 PM

Be sure to post pictures of your crazy crumb quilt when you are finished with it. LOL.
    Old 11-27-2011, 02:25 PM
    Power Poster

it would be an embellished crumb quilt- or a crazy quilt---
    RULES??? there are no rules---if you want to embellish what ever blocks you make it is fine to do- and probably beautiful. crazy quilts often contain a variety of fabrics, but not always- often contain buttons/beads, laces, other fibers- but not always- often start with a 5-sided scrap of fabric other fabrics are (log-cabin style) added to on a foundation---but not always-
    i know a lady who makes 6 or 7 string quilts every year- for her they are her crazy quilts-
    there is no right or wrong- only sometimes different than what someone else does.
    Old 11-27-2011, 02:55 PM

I like this. This is what I was wondering about. So my decision to embellish my crumbs is kind of a new idea it seems. I can't figure out how to post pics from my iPhone but as soon as I do I will try to get a few pics done. I have about 5 blocks pieced and they are in a basket so I can embellish while I watch tv. I don't do hand fancy stitches. I have two wonderful machines to do decorative stitching but I do add beads, lace, pre-made ribbon flowers and such. So much fun. And with a pic in the center of each block (butterfly, dog, cat, truck, etc) they would be great kids I spy quilts.
    Old 11-28-2011, 08:00 AM

I prefer crumb quilts, because I'm plain lazy to do all the embellishments, but have promised myself I'll get to a crazy quilt so I can try out all those fancy (hardly ever used) stitches on my sewing machine. The crumbs just seem to take on a life of their own. I made them even before I knew what they were called and some of the ladies in our quilt group donate all crumbs. Then they hint for the final product to be returned to the donor.