Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Crumb blocks >
  • Crumb blocks

• Crumb blocks

Old 12-02-2022, 06:37 PM

Default Crumb blocks

Do you make crumb blocks? The past two days my brain needed some freedom from the strict piecing I’m doing for another quilt, so I decided to make some crumb blocks. Turns out they’re pretty fun to make. I’m making mine 12.5” and I think I will add a thin, black boarder around them. What size do you make yours?

Old 12-03-2022, 04:40 AM

Those are interesting blocks! How do I go about sewing crumbs together? Guess I'll go search YT...
    Old 12-03-2022, 05:40 AM

If I ever get the fabric strip bins under control, it will be time to tackle the crumb box. I hope my blocks turns out as nice as yours: mighty interesting fabrics you got there!
    Old 12-03-2022, 06:19 AM
    Power Poster

I've made mine either four or five inches unfinished. Sometimes I put a plain colored block between them and I have also sewn nine of the four inch blocks together to make a big block. They are fun to make. And I never run out of crumbs! They multiply overnight I think!
    Old 12-03-2022, 06:34 AM

I've made crumb blocks a few times - I hate them when I make them and like other people's. Good job! #fabric rescue
    Old 12-03-2022, 06:48 AM

They look amazing. I just went thru all my scraps and threw the crumbs in a pillowcase for the animal shelter. Maybe I should have kept them.
    Old 12-03-2022, 07:47 AM
    Power Poster

I've never done that but I love yours. Sometimes mindless sewing is just the thing for our weary minds! I have a project that is really easy to pick up when I need a break from thinking! It's a 16 patch with 2.5 inch blocks. Easy.
    Old 12-03-2022, 08:11 AM

I make large pieces of fabric from crumbs and then either cut to sizes I want, or use the irregular shaped fabric for improvisational piecing.

Rob
    Old 12-03-2022, 09:45 AM

I loooove crumb blocks! I have made 3 crumb quilts so far -- a wall quilt, a baby quilt, and a bed size bear's paw where the paw pad was made of crumbs. Now I'm working on a 4th, which I hope will become bed or throw size. It's made of neutral crumbs surrounded by a thin strip of either purple or dark blue. The strips come out of my string pile. I like to divide the crumbs into color families and sew them according to their families rather than just randomly. That gives some cohesion to the block as a whole. The bear's paw quilt I did is made from blue, purple, and green crumbs, thus an analogous color scheme.
    Old 12-03-2022, 01:50 PM
    Power Poster

Synnove - You need to show us your bear claw crumb quilt. I would love to see it! I can't imagine what it looks like.