Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • CRUMBS >
  • CRUMBS

• CRUMBS

Old 05-26-2010, 09:34 AM
    Power Poster

To me crumbs are 2 1/2" down to 1 1/2" anything smaller? I may save for applique or get rid of.
    Strips 1 1/2 inches wide is the smallest I save for quilting, the rest go in a bin to be used to wrap gifts instead of ribbon :wink:
    Old 05-26-2010, 11:01 AM
    Power Poster

Not sure if my scraps are considered crumbs but I toss my leftover bits (of varying sizes) into a large bin. My plan is to make random blocks and treat them like a cotton crazy quilt. I have the first block done and plan to test out my fancy stitches on the machine for decorations.

I also rifle through my stash on a regular basis when I need some applique bits. Did it last night when I needed the parts for a Sunbonnet Sue.

Sometimes, when the bin runs over, I pare down and share with someone who makes minis or needs some scraps.
    Old 05-26-2010, 02:42 PM

wow, i love what I do and the quilts I make BUTTTT that looks like a lot more work than i willing to give. Beautiful quilts. But i would never live long enough to see it to the end :) . Thanks Ronda
    Old 05-26-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by lnikkers52
    wow, i love what I do and the quilts I make BUTTTT that looks like a lot more work than i willing to give. Beautiful quilts. But i would never live long enough to see it to the end :) . Thanks Ronda
    LOL - that one may make my to do list - one day - when I'm old and don't work - and I'm very very bored! LOL I still think it's neat though that she DID IT!
    Old 05-26-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    Check out Bonnie Hunters system. Makes sense. I've been doing something similar to this - It works for me. Find out what collection you need to make to make a quilt. She also recommends - 1. find the pattern 2. figure out what size they want you to cut everything down to 3. start saving that size.

http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml

Check out the crumb quilt she posted on her blog (it's near the bottom)
    http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2010/...nd-mo-too.html

I'm at the point where I need to sort my crumbs and strips by size, because they're all just thrown together in random bags under my cutting table. It's probably going to take me at least a week to go through it all, and I don't want to stop WIPs to do it. The problem for me is this is another excuse to never throw anything away!
    Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 AM
    Google Goddess

wow, love reading this thread
    Old 05-29-2010, 03:54 AM

I was thinking of this thread and someone mentioning about buying 30 bins when I was at a garage sale this week. Sometimes I buy new totes when I have the money and when they're on sale. Lots of times I'll see them at garage sales - resale shops - or just repurpose ones I have around the house.

At a GS I saw a huge Christmas tree in a Rubbermaid tote with snapping lid ($$$ new). They only wanted $5.00 for the tree - I was thinking of buying it just for the tote! I didn't because I already bought a Singer sewing machine in a cabinet and didn't have any more room in my car! LOL

Keep your eyes open!