Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Curious - Do you buy 'collections' of threads... >
  • Curious - Do you buy 'collections' of threads...

• Curious - Do you buy 'collections' of threads...

Old 05-24-2011, 05:30 AM

Usually individually but I've received a few sets for gifts and they're nice to have on hand. I could see investing in neutral packs as DogHouseMom suggested or if you tend to use specfic colorways, purchasing sets of those.

Right now, I'm into hand applique...having found a thread that works well for me, I'll be buying packages of those (neutrals) in the near future.
    Old 05-24-2011, 07:01 AM
    Power Poster

Not any more. I end up using up all those weird colors for piecing in quilts I can kind of hide it in. I have on hand ecru and black and that is pretty much it. I do not like having money tied up in thread that is getting older.
    Old 05-24-2011, 08:38 AM

When I got my embroidery machine, I bought a couple of HUGE collections from ThreadArt - I use them for quilting and topstitching, too.

I bought all the collections from CT - and I've used about half of them for different things. There are several threads that I have bought replacements for, but I prefer not to buy individual spools. Some of the collections save you a pretty good chunk of change. :)
    Old 05-24-2011, 08:45 AM
    Power Poster

I buy neutral thread sets of different brands. I like the Aurifil neutral sets and Connecting Threads sets. I have a lot of the Aurifil sets of blended shades of one color. One set I have use a lot is the YLI silk threads. It's my favorite thread to use for applique. I also bought the Super Bobs, a bobbin of every color of Masterpiece thread. It's great for quick hand sewing when you need to match thread.
    Old 05-24-2011, 08:55 AM

I don't buy tread collection but do tend to by the Aurfil threads as my machine likes it. I only use a couple of colors when quilting as well.
    Old 05-24-2011, 10:38 AM

Yes I have bought collections of Aurfil thread. I like have various colors for machine quilting.
    Old 05-24-2011, 01:56 PM
    Power Poster

I bought a collection for my embroidery machine. That way you get the weird colors needed for shading detailed designs. For quilting, however, I only got a neutral set and purchase other colors as I need them for a specific project.
    Old 05-24-2011, 02:03 PM
    Banned

I'm a Superior Threads Bottom Line and Aurifil user and have alot of both in many colours
    Old 05-24-2011, 02:08 PM
    Power Poster

The only thread I can tell a big difference is silk or InvisFil brand, those threads make the stitches almost disappear.
    Old 05-25-2011, 02:49 AM
    Swap Hosts

When I first got my embroidery machine I did, even though I have two 16 qt bins full of estate sale thread. I got a small Gutterman set.

Next I bought this for myself for Mother's Day http://cgi.ebay.com/260-Large-Spools...item415a1571f6 I am extremely happy with the quality of the thread. It came with conversion software and I'm happily quilting gorgeous squares on one machine while I sew on the other.

I also purchased some of the most gorgeous silk rayon threads from a seller in India. http://stores.ebay.com/INDIANSPECIAL...=p4634.c0.m322 The colors are rich and I especially love the metallic looking ones. They stitch out easily and give the look of a metallic without the trouble. And ... each set came with packets of bindis! These are decorative jeweled designs to put in the center of your forehead. I don't know when I'll ever wear one, but they are cute.