Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Curious Question >
  • Curious Question

• Curious Question

Old 06-17-2015, 03:54 AM

I only have a corner and a closet--no room, no studio (though I'm liking the idea of calling it an "asylum").
    Old 06-17-2015, 04:21 AM
    Power Poster

I call mine a studio. Maybe it was because I did custom quilting for clients. I really don't know why.
    Old 06-17-2015, 04:45 AM

Haha it is definitely artier to call it a studio. Here's Merriam Webster
    [h=2]Full Definition of STUDIO[/h]a : the working place of a painter, sculptor, or photographer
    b : a place for the study of an art (as dancing, singing, or acting)

a : a place where motion pictures are made
    b : a company that produces motion pictures

: a place maintained and equipped for the transmission of radio or television programs

: a place where audio recordings are made

A room is just a room, but a studio is a source of creative output

I call my room 'the quilting lab' because I am always experimenting with stuff and trying things out, which is how I learned to quilt and what makes it fun for me. My husband and my son (when the dear is home) often hear squeals or shouts or shrieks or peals of laughter coming from there. I make it a point never to let my temper get to me in the lab. If I called it a studio I might have temper tantrums or feel I had to create art, and if it were a workroom I would have to feel productive.

Not such a dumb question at all, ocydroma!
    Old 06-17-2015, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl
    For me, it is my "sewing sanctuary". My space to create in, a place to get away from the world.

7.Definition: any place of refuge; asylum. ( gotta love the reference to asylum!)

Sandy

Hey Sandy, maybe that is what I can tell DH when he asks what I'm laughing about in there LOL asylum!!!
    Old 06-17-2015, 06:08 AM

My one is called my sewing room which has the largest amount of my stuff in it. Then I got a serger and set it up in the other small room that has been called Jeremy's room, the spare room, office and now its called the serger room. My grandkids know which is which so when we are cleaning I can tell them which room to put things in and they know where. I'm sure there are lots of reasons people call them different things rather its business, personal or a matter of preference. Just like some people name their machines or cars. I call my machines, the Viking, the Kenmore or the serger. No names needed.
    Old 06-17-2015, 06:18 AM

My room has three names; sewing room, office, and Gram's room. Gram was my mom who lived with us for 14 years. She's been gone for 7 years, but we still call it Gram's room, Gram's closet, Gram's bathroom.
    Old 06-17-2015, 06:21 AM

Mine sewing area is the unfinished section of the basement...half L/A dedicated, half sewing....it is just " downstairs"..... As opposed to other areas down there....family room, bar, office, bathroom.....
    Old 06-17-2015, 06:34 AM
    Power Poster

I have observed that a lot of art quilters refer to it as the studio but that is just my observation and by no means a tested theory. I actually love the term studio but have never gotten into the habit of using it. In my house my sewing room is where I piece. It is also my guest bedroom so everything is put away when guests come to stay (usually by brother so we often call it Dan's room). My longarm is in a back bedroom and is referred to as the longarm room. Both are upstairs in my house. The guest room is in the front and the longarm is in the back. So when I announce to my DH I am going upstairs to sew, he usually asks front or back, or he asks regular or longarm? LOL
    Old 06-17-2015, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom
    We call mine my sewing room, my room (as in go to your room!), my space, the west wing since its on the west side of the house , or anything else that happens to cross our minds.
    Oh, and I have a sandwich room too. My son always asks why is everything quilted related named after food. LOL
    Old 06-17-2015, 06:48 AM

It's actually an interesting question to me. I am spoiled and have two rooms in the house that are "mine". My living room is my "sewing room" and that's what I call it. Upstairs I have a spare bedroom that is my "art studio" which is where I do my drawing, painting, beading, papercrafting, and polyclay sculpting. It's also where my PC lives.

Why is one a "room" and one a "studio"? I don't really know, it's just what sounds right, I guess. Or maybe it's because the bedroom next to mine upstairs is my DH's "music studio" so in my mind that part of the house is where the 'studios' are. It's not something I consciously decided.

DH & I are working on converting our last "spare" bedroom into a work space so I can move all my old broken sewing machines out of my sewing room and DH can move his old broken radios out of his music studio and we can work on them in there and share some tools and such. I have been referring to that room as the "mini shop" or "workroom", we'll see what name sticks! ("mini" because the room is rinky dinky, only 9' square, minus a notch for the door - probably designed to be a nursery.)