Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Curriculum for Quilters >
  • Curriculum for Quilters

• Curriculum for Quilters

Old 08-23-2019, 11:21 AM

Well... when I lead a 4-H Modern quilting project, we start with mastering the 1/4" seam. By the time the members have sewn 5 WOF strips together they have it pretty darn good.
    Then we play with colour and colour theory.
    Then design. All the while playing/sewing with the strip set they made. A little bit of machine maintenance and checking out the manual or where to go online for help.
    Then sandwiching with batting and backing - I use the birthing method first since their projects are small.
    Then machine quilting - straight lines either marked or done point to point or perhaps stitch-in-the-ditch. And finishing the thread ends. I think this gives a good overview.
    Old 08-26-2019, 06:35 PM

Great question. I would structure an Intro to Quilting Class with 6 lessons based on a sampler quilt, 3x4 (12.5”) blocks. 5 students max to give personal attention.

1. Choosing fabric . Start with a multicolored focal print and show how to coordinate fabrics using color, value, scale, and contrast. Spend an hour in the quilt shop helping them narrow the choices and making decisions, which can be the hardest part of starting. (No matter how many years you’ve been quilting!) Send them home to wash with color catchers, iron the fabric, gather all their supplies, thread their machine and come to class prepared to learn cutting techniques based on the sampler blocks.

2. Measuring and cutting. Subcutting. Reading a pattern. Basic terminology and explanation of common abbreviations and acronyms in the quilting industry.

3. Block 1: Rail fence. Mastering the 1/4” seam. Pressing. Squaring up. Block 2: 9 patch. Homework to make 2 of each, varying the fabrics in each. I would teach both pinning and gluing. They can decide what works for them. I always want to emphasize freedom in choosing methods, not insisting on just one.

4. Block 3 : pinwheel (because it’s my favorite!) , HST (taught two different ways—again homework is to try both methods , Block 4: flying geese with the stitch and flip method. Make 2 Pinwheels and 2 FG for homework.

5. Block 5: Churn dash because it Combines strip piecing and HsT lessons learned . Emphasis on points and clear contrast using just two fabrics. Make two for HW.

6. Have them make a simple, portable design board using 4x6 ft foam board, batting and pins. Bring to class, play with layouts, bring camera to take BLack and white photos (and color) of your layouts till you see one you like. This step was not taught in my beginner class and I was laying out my blocks on the bed. It was okay but hard on my back and was the wrong perspective. The joy of using an inexpensive design wall incReased my pleasure tenfold. Homework: sew the blocks together into a finished top.

That would end six sessions. And it would whet their appetite to take the next class (Batting, Basting, Basic Quilting , and Binding, and Binding). Some would want the personal instruction and social interaction, others would figure it out by youtube and not return, and some would realiZe how addicting it is to shop, sew, and make UFOs!! They would never come back because finishing ain’t as fun!!

Last edited by zozee; 08-26-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    Old 08-27-2019, 04:42 AM

My question would be - is this for sewers wanting to learn to quilt? or non-sewers wanting to learn.

It would be very different if you have to teach basic sewing before you get into the quilting part.
    Old 08-27-2019, 11:20 AM

I read the question, and answered, with the assumption that basic sewing skills had already been learned. Indeed an intro to sewing would be a different class and many hours of practice.
    Old 08-27-2019, 12:25 PM
    Power Poster

I did not specify -

"Intro to sewing" - as in "this is a needle, this is thread, this is a sewing machine, this is fabric, these are scissors" - could either be "quilting 101" or a class by itself.
    Old 08-27-2019, 12:53 PM

Simple sewing machine use and maintenance. How to wind a bobbin, oil a machine,what needle to use... and a handout with tips on troubleshooting stitch/tension problems.
    Basics of batting, too.
    I would emphasize over and over that accuracy when cutting and stitching is what takes the frustration out of piecing blocks and seams.
    I would make as many handouts as possible to be used as a reference after the class ...people forget new things easily, especially when there's a ton of info being taught.