Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Curtains in your sewing room >
  • Curtains in your sewing room

• Curtains in your sewing room

Old 08-27-2013, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by mighty
    I do not have curtains, I have blinds. I need all the light I can get, I have such a hard time seeing without good light.
    Old age I guess!
    I have blinds, plus lace swags. I love looking at my sewing windows from the outside - Good commercial for Singer. You can see my machine with the red Singer imprint. But, I am going to do my bedroom curtains in a quilted pattern with an off white crocheted valance. I haven't figured out what pattern I am going to use, but it will be in teals and rose. So now I hunt through my stuff to find fabric that will work for four panels (two windows). Oh, yes, I am going to make a bath mat quilted also. I have a nice bathmat that I am going to cover with my own pattern and stitch in the ditch.
    Sounds like a plan to me. With all this hot weather, it is quite easy to stay in the house and sew away. I mentioned to my sister - "Do you realize in four months we can be flirting with temperatures 100 degrees lower than we are in right now?" Kinda awe-some, isn't it. We had 98 yesterday, broke a record and everything. Ain't Minnesota Great? I love it here! Edie
    Old 08-27-2013, 04:11 AM

I have blinds with sheer curtains that are tied back with sage green ties., I also have sage green valances that match the ties. I made them and they dip down in the middle to fancy things up a little.
    Old 08-27-2013, 04:19 AM

i made some curtains out of sheets over 25 years ago for my bedroom. They now hang in my sewing room, and I still like them. Just white panels with a small rosebud print scattered on them. My space has a northern exposure,so get plenty of light, but no direct sun glare. No blinds - hate 'em
    Old 08-27-2013, 04:22 AM

Just a lacy "heart" ruffle across the top and mini blinds. I need the natural light because I have macular degeneration and it helps me to decide if fabrics are brown, purple, navy, etc. Sometimes I get "interesting" color combinations until I get near a window so I can actually see what I have. LOL The ruffle is easy to launder when it needs it and easy to hang up again.
    Old 08-27-2013, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Retired Fire Chief
    Because we don't have any neighbors close and we are so far back off the road curtains aren't a necessity at my house. What I do have is valences that I make from vintage embroidered pillowcases or table clothes. Love the look, they iron crisp and don't block the natural light from the windows.
    What a fantastic idea! I have a collection of old pillow cases and dresser scarves I could use for that.
    Old 08-27-2013, 04:24 AM

No curtains. I use window film. It lets in the light but I still have privacy. The design on mine is reminiscent of Frank Lloyd Wright but this will give you the idea.
    http://www.amazon.com/Etched-Leaf-Wi...ds=window+film
    Old 08-27-2013, 04:33 AM

For the two windows in my sewing area, I made Roman shades with weatherproof lining. For each front, I put together a quilted top and used it like fabric (no quilting).
    Old 08-27-2013, 04:49 AM

I have sewing themed curtains. I'd bet some (or most of you out there) would remember the fabric. It has a pattern that is of sewing pattern pieces, a body dress form, scissors, buttons, fabric that is solid black, solid red, and even a black and white check that I purchased years ago from Sew Fro. I did a muslin backing as the sun come in through that window. I had some of that material left over to make a machine cover. It turned out cute. I made it this past year (even though I had the material for years!!) and it is so highly printed that I'm hoping to just wash, dry, and hang and bypass the ironing part!!!! The curtain (I made it with two 42" panels sewn together) can open on either side as the curtain rod is placed about 3" past the window frame so the whole window is open to the light. I'm keeping my eye open for another sewing theme as I would like to change it out from time to time.
    Old 08-27-2013, 06:06 AM

I took my eldest daughters cast offs and folded them in half (bottom to the top) and hung them up. The were from IKEA. Reuse, reduce, recycle
    Old 08-27-2013, 06:12 AM

Just had new blinds installed and will put up valences.