Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Curtains in your sewing room >
  • Curtains in your sewing room

• Curtains in your sewing room

Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by mighty
    I do not have curtains, I have blinds. I need all the light I can get, I have such a hard time seeing without good light.
    Old age I guess!
    Same here. Need light!!!!!
    Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 AM

I have blinds, but I also have 12 inch valances. They're just straight pieces of fabric with a casing for the curtain rod about 3 inches from the top. They are 3 and 1/2 times the width of the windows, so when they are on the rod, they are really full. They were easy to make, easy to get on the rods and easy to take down and launder--about once a year. froggyintexas
    Old 08-27-2013, 10:56 AM

I have cream and tan check valances I made for my sewing room windows. I like the finished look window treatment lend to a room. I also have roller blinds underneath to control the glare when the sun is so bright. My machine sits right in front of a double window. Very nice in winter, but too hot in the summer sometimes.
    Old 08-27-2013, 03:47 PM

For my sewing room windows I found fabric that looks like vintage handkerchiefs on white background so I made valances. I really like them. At the time I found the fabric I was making 5 quilts for my sisters and me using my mother's vintage handkerchiefs. Real fitting.
    Jothesewer
    Old 08-27-2013, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rubesgirl
    I have no curtains in my sewing room. Think of all the lint and dust they would collect from all the fabrics that are cut and sewn in that room!
    True. Curtains create lots of lint. The only curtains I have in my house are in my master bedroom. I have plantation blinds in every room, including that room. I like the minimalist look of the blinds but I had curtains for that room so just put them back up over the blinds. My point is, there's many times more dust bunnies and lintiness in the master bedroom than any other room in the house.
    Old 08-27-2013, 04:58 PM

I have curtains in my sewing room. I love color and color at the windows just make a room look complete.. Also my sewing room window is in the front of the house and it just nice if I want to sew no matter what time of day or night other people that drive by can't see in. My sewing room curtains are made from Debbie mumms fabric creative women which I just love and it suits my personality.
    Old 08-27-2013, 05:21 PM

I have miniblinds and valances that I made. They're not quilt related - I matched the fabric to stuffed chairs, one of which is still in the room.
    Old 08-27-2013, 06:03 PM

I have blinds on my windows in my sewing room and my plan is to make valances using fabric panels with pictures of antique sewing machines on them. I want to actually quilt these panels, but I am not sure of what kind of batting to use. I want the quilt motif to show, but I don't want the thickness and heaviness of batting. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Old 08-27-2013, 06:07 PM

I hate sewing curtains. I prefer to work with little bits of fabric rather than big sheets of it. So I bought a couple of white twin size flat sheets and some of those clip on round hanger things and those are my curtains.
    Old 08-27-2013, 06:16 PM

I have dark brown block out curtains because the whole wall behind my machine is windows. I love all the natural light during the day and watching the neighborhood. At night I like my privacy, I sew a lot at night and can just pull my curtains closed. I also use my sewing room as a guest room at times so it keeps the room darker in the early morning. I didn't want to loose a lot of space for a bed so I put in a murphy bed so I can have my floor space the rest of the time.