Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Customer measured wrong! >
  • Customer measured wrong!

• Customer measured wrong!

Old 12-19-2012, 04:26 AM

Sounds like it is not your fault, but you want to make your customer happy...adding an extra border, or a ruffle hopefully will fix the problem. Good luck!
    Old 12-19-2012, 04:49 AM
    Power Poster

I like jodimarie's answer but if that doesn't work is the binding full enough to be treated as piping? Then another border could be added the same as the black print or scrappy from all of the fabrics maybe in a brick design.
    Old 12-19-2012, 05:43 AM
    Power Poster

Adding a ruffle may be the quickest and easiest. Next time tell her to add a few more inches to avoid it being too small.
    Old 12-19-2012, 05:48 AM
    Power Poster

Since you need extra on three sides (or all 4 sides if you wanted) I would add an extra large border in QAYG style. If she is paying you to fix the problem, I would find a print that matched the quilt and add the fabric on both sides by cutting 8 inch wide strips of top, batt and batting. I would place the top fabric on the quilt top edge, just inside the binding,(right side down) place batt strip on top of it and stay stitch. I would then add the back fabric strip to the back( right side down to the quilt back) match the edge to the front and sew just inside the stay stitching line. I would the smooth all the layers outward and it would be ready to quilt. I would do the other side in the same manner and then the bottom section. When finished I would rebind the whole quilt again with a wider binding. A ruffle would also work, it is up to you and the customer.
    Old 12-19-2012, 05:50 AM

I had the same problem with a quilt. I made a strip for each side, about 14 inches wide by the length, sandwiched, quilted and bound it on three sides. Then I laid it just under the binding on the quilt and sewed in the ditch of the binding on the original quilt. I worked great!!
    Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 AM

Wink

I like the idea of prairie points with this quilt. To me a ruffle just doesn't fit the quilt style. Just my opinion.
    Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    How about those triangles , senior moment....... Are they prairie points? But larger ones which are not folded into 1/4 but made, 2 square as facing each other machine all around outside edge , then cut diagonally. Sew diagonal into quilt.
    Or could you make rectangles and have a foe tassels.?
    Old 12-19-2012, 06:26 AM
    Power Poster

You could add a border and it may look added or she could make another quilt.
    Old 12-19-2012, 06:38 AM

I like the idea of prairie points also.
    Old 12-19-2012, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by jodimarie
    since the quilt looks to be longer than it is wide, why not just lay it across the bottom half of the bed and leave it alone?? I don't think adding a ruffle to the 3 sides will look ''right''.....I just don't think of quilts as having ruffles but maybe that is just me! Laying it across the bottom half of the bed will give the owner the drape she is looking for and will be a different look in the room....more modern maybe!! Turn the sheets down and let the pillows show...I think it will look very nice and modern
    Big No to the ruffles from me also. I'll bet you could add a panel of fabric that comes from underneath the quilt. Like another skirt. It would look layered and you wouldn't have to take the binding off. I'd attach it just before the binding. Sounds harder than it would be to do.
    Old 12-19-2012, 07:53 AM

FYI....the quilt in the pic is not mine....If I add prairie points, can I add them without taking off the binding?...can I sew directly to the binding?