Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Customer measured wrong! >
  • Customer measured wrong!

• Customer measured wrong!

Old 12-19-2012, 08:04 AM

What a mistake she made. Do you really want to be the one to 'fix' her problem? Is she that good a friend or customer? She would pay you to 'fix' this wouldn't she?

Hopefully she would find material to use - why use up your time unless you really want to. An underskirt or I forget the actual name, but another quilted item to be put under the original quilt [can be store bought], pleated under skirt, ruffled underskirt.

She could also call it a large throw, or if it is King sized a very large throw. Not all my blankets were as long as I wanted but they did keep the bed warm at nite.
    Old 12-19-2012, 08:17 AM
    Power Poster

My concern about a ruffle would be that the fabric, not being quilted, might need to be pressed after each washing, and it would wear out much faster than the rest of the quilt. I would probably tell her to accept this quilt just as it is, and love it as one of her children. (I'm sure none of them came out exactly right either, but she loves them anyway.) Or give it away. (LOL, thinking about the children again.) Make another quilt that has that extra few inches. If she's a quilter she will be making another quilt anyway.

If that's just not an option, then it would depend on the design. You could cut away the binding (assuming it's too difficult to frog it off) and join new quilted pieces all around as if quilting in sections.
    Old 12-19-2012, 08:51 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Was someone talking about making a separate bottom to go underneath? Something you can lay down first and use inexpensive fabric for the width of the quilt and then quilt a border on the 3 edges of that the length she needs. Then you won't have to mess with your nice quilt. She just has to pull up your quillt and lay the first part of the quilt (which could have one layer of muslin in the middle with the edges bordered) and then lay your quilt on top of it. Is that stupid? Because I think that is what I would do. It would be super easy. She would have to pay for the muslin, but you can get that at www.fabric.com for fairly inexpensive or somewhere else online and not injure your original quilt.
    Old 12-19-2012, 10:34 AM
    Power Poster

Here is a crazy idea! How about getting a mattress cover for the mattress and sewing a coordinating fabric all around the sides?
    Old 12-19-2012, 11:10 AM

Hi BuckEye Rose

I had a very similar situation with a quilt for my SIL a few years back. Prewashed fabric and batting, carefully measured and endlessly remeasured
    during it's construction. The end result was 3 or 4 inches too narrow (probably too short also, but that wasn't an issue). The fix was easy - I simply sewed a 4 inch strip of fabric around the dust ruffle, so the black binding lays against a black background instead of white muslin (eek!). It seems obvious now - but at the time I was totally irked .
    The original idea was for the binding to barely touch the beautiful cherry wood side rails and peaking out below that is a pretty cut work dust ruffle. The look was totally lost with the black binding falling 2 inches short of the side rails.
    Fast forward to small quilt made earlier this year. I was idly measuring the quilted and unquilted 9 patches - the quilted sections were about 3/8 smaller than the unquilted sections. Along with careful laundering that is certainly enough to account for a loss of at least 3%.
    Note to self - never commit to an exact measurement without some built in wiggle room.
    Good luck with your quilt.
    Lefty - in Philly
    Old 12-20-2012, 04:05 AM

This won't answer the question about how to fix it, but I'm wondering if this isn't a case of take-up. When we quilt, the process causes the quilt sandwich to shrink. Depending on how densely we quilt, that can be several inches. I'm with lfty298 (I'm also a lefty), build in some wiggle room.
    Old 12-20-2012, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by jodimarie
    since the quilt looks to be longer than it is wide, why not just lay it across the bottom half of the bed and leave it alone?? I don't think adding a ruffle to the 3 sides will look ''right''.....I just don't think of quilts as having ruffles but maybe that is just me! Laying it across the bottom half of the bed will give the owner the drape she is looking for and will be a different look in the room....more modern maybe!! Turn the sheets down and let the pillows show...I think it will look very nice and modern
    Ditto. I'm not crazy about the ruffle idea.
    Old 12-20-2012, 04:15 AM

I use vintage quilts on my bed, I have so many I change them weekly. None of the quilts go past the top of my queen bed, they rarely made them that big. I have a white dust ruffle so I bought a very nice white bed cover that is huge and it goes down to the edge of my dust ruffle. Then my vintage quilt goes on top as purely decorative. I chose white because almost all of my vintage quilts are white background. How about picking a color/print that goes with the quilt and using that as an underskirt?

Last edited by Wanabee Quiltin; 12-20-2012 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Wrong word
    Old 12-20-2012, 04:19 AM

Why can't she just buy a larger size flat sheet to go on the bed underneath it so the sides hang lower and make matching pillow shams.
    It was her mistake...not your's. And it's to close to the holidays for trying to fix this, I think.
    Old 12-20-2012, 04:28 AM

Can additional fabric to match the dust ruffle be sewn to the back side of the already bound quilt binding? It could even be slightly quilted. It would fool the eye.