Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Customer measured wrong! >
  • Customer measured wrong!

• Customer measured wrong!

Old 12-20-2012, 04:53 AM

Default Quilt adjustment

I did the same thing. I turned the quilt sideways. Then added a 12' border on top and bottom. I appliqued NOSE on the top and TOES across the bottom. It is a different kind of quilt but just brainstorm and you will think of something.

I like the idea of just laying across bottom longways. Lovely quilt.

My first time posting, hope I am doing it correctly.
    Old 12-20-2012, 04:55 AM

I did the same thing. I turned the quilt sideways. Then added a 12' border on top and bottom. I appliqued NOSE on the top and TOES across the bottom. It is a different kind of quilt but just brainstorm and you will think of something.

I like the idea of just laying across bottom longways. Lovely quilt.

My first time posting, hope I am doing it correctly.
    Old 12-20-2012, 05:04 AM
    Power Poster

What about them buying a dust ruffle and putting it on the bed under the mattress? Just a thought
    Old 12-20-2012, 05:05 AM

I did the same thing. Turned quilt sideways and added a 12" border on top and bottom. On top I appliqued "NOSE" and on bottom added "TOES".
    Old 12-20-2012, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by jodimarie
    since the quilt looks to be longer than it is wide, why not just lay it across the bottom half of the bed and leave it alone?? I don't think adding a ruffle to the 3 sides will look ''right''.....I just don't think of quilts as having ruffles but maybe that is just me! Laying it across the bottom half of the bed will give the owner the drape she is looking for and will be a different look in the room....more modern maybe!! Turn the sheets down and let the pillows show...I think it will look very nice and modern
    That's what I did with a quilt that I made for myself. I turned it sideways & it fits better on the bed with the side drop that I needed. No one is the wiser - it is a Lone Star quilt & the star fit either way so no harm. Maybe she could try that before you start any changes. Good luck.
    Old 12-20-2012, 06:24 AM

The quilt is beautiful. I'm sure you will think of something. The ruffle idea would work.
    Old 12-20-2012, 06:24 AM

Since I tend to be more of a traditionalist, there would be no ruffles on MY quilts. But if the owner likes ruffles, then good. Maybe the quilt could be used for a different bed or lay it crosswize on the bed.
    Old 12-20-2012, 06:34 AM

I had the same problem with a quilt for my granddaughter and I entertained the idea of a ruffle as it seemed quick. But then I considered that it would not be nice to fold and store. I took the binding off and put it aside to reuse. Luckily I had enough of the quilt fabric that I could add a border to the backing. Then I butted batting to what was already there, using strips of light weight fusible interfacing to hold it in place. Then I added a border to the quilt top. I was able to pin border seam on top and border seam on bottom so it looks like it was intended to be as it turned out. I put the binding back on (had to add to that, of course) and then did the quilting in the new border. I doubt anyone in the future will recognize that the quilt has been "fixed" as it looks nice, even though it was a pain to get there! Incidentally, I hand quilted this one and had no problem with the fusible interfacing when I was quilting through it.
    Old 12-20-2012, 06:45 AM

Default Interesting extra border

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    I just finished a quilt for a customer, adding an additional border to meet her size requirements (she measured). She loves the quilt, which is a huge relief, but when laying out on her bed, she discovered it doesn't drop enough to cover the mattress....a few inches short on each side. I am just not sure what I can do to fix the problem. I thought about making a ruffle and adding on three sides, thinking that might be the easiest. But am just not sure. Has this ever happened to you? and what did you do to make it right? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Ok this was a discovery we made in a similar circumstance. Add another border by treating the binding as an "eyelash" is what we call it. It is like a cording! So make the border, back it leaving extra backing on side to be attached quilt it all before adding. Stitch it under the binding leaving the backing piece free. then after stitching through the same stitching as the binding fold the backing fabric over and hand stitch to hide the seam. Bind the new border and you are done. MAKE SURE TO CHARGE THE CUSTOMER EXTRA FOR ALL THIS WORK!
    Old 12-20-2012, 06:51 AM

It is a beautiful quilt. Personally, I would buy black sheets and not worry that the quilt doesn't reach that far down the sides.

Cheers, K