Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Customer measured wrong! >
  • Customer measured wrong!

• Customer measured wrong!

Old 12-20-2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    Thanks so much for all the ideas. I am going to customers house to actually "see" how the quilt fits the bed. Turning it sideways may just work...am seriously hoping anyway. Customer already has a ruffled bedskirt, so the ruffle may work too. The quilt is intended to be a "pretty"....something to sit on the bed, look nice, and then be folded up at night while bed is in use. I messed up when I finished it and didn't get a pic, but will def get one when I go to her house so I can show you.
    You are a better person than me...her mistake and it's just a 'pretty' so why is she fussing about it?
    Old 12-20-2012, 03:31 PM

How about making a dust ruffle in the same fabric as the border - even though that would not make the quilt bigger, it would fool the eye. And since the error was on the part of the customer, if you do any repairs, alterations, etc. you should be compensated for it. It is a bigger pain to fix something than to make it originally. You did a great job on the quilt. Love the fabrics.
    Old 12-20-2012, 04:34 PM

I agree with some of the posts, your job is done. A solution that I have used with some antique quilts that I have used that were too short, is to buy a quilted comforter in a matching solid color and put the quilt over it. I also have made shams from a quilted comforter to match the under quilt and it brings the whole idea together.
    Old 12-20-2012, 05:20 PM

How about adding just a straight skirt with a few pleats? Don't ask me how, but I think it would be prettier than ruffles.
    Old 12-20-2012, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by GemState
    I had the same problem with a quilt. I made a strip for each side, about 14 inches wide by the length, sandwiched, quilted and bound it on three sides. Then I laid it just under the binding on the quilt and sewed in the ditch of the binding on the original quilt. I worked great!!
    I thought this was the solution, as well but couldn't figure out how to describe it!
    Old 12-20-2012, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    How about those triangles , senior moment....... Are they prairie points? But larger ones which are not folded into 1/4 but made, 2 square as facing each other machine all around outside edge , then cut diagonally. Sew diagonal into quilt.
    Or could you make rectangles and have a foe tassels.?
    The quilt my Mom made me had the same problem and she added Pairie Points to three sides and it worked great. It is beautiful. She made them on a strip and attached it to the back of the quilt. You can't tell that it was added as an afterthought.
    Old 12-20-2012, 06:42 PM

Could you add borders, at a good price for you, using the QAYG method? I'm not sure ruffles would compliment that beautiful quilt!
    Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 PM

Give the customer several options...let her decide. Whatever happens, remember this is a lot of extra work, don't cheat yourself by doing it on the cheap. I would suggest a bordering fabric...a contrasting thin flange or band of solid color...as the person who put up the pic of the black/red/white quilt did. This is the easiest thing to do.

Remember when measuring for adding to an existing quilt...make the top borders the width of the quilt plus 1". For the side borders...they will be the length of the quilt, + the width of both top and bottom borders.

That said:

If you need to add 6" to each edge (making the quilt 12" wider and longer), cut your strips 13"... cut the batting 12-1/4", and whatever length is needed. Fold the border strips in half lengthwise, right sides together. Stitch a 1/4" seam to close the long edge...turn and press flat. Gently insert your batting into the tube & pin along the folded edge. You will then stitch along the fold, about 1/4 to 1/2" in from the fold... this will secure the batting and keep the batting from being caught in the sewn seam. When you have all four tubes done (short ends are not sewn yet), sew on the top and bottom border, matching centers...sew from the center out on each side. I would use invisible thread, and stitch the seam edge of the border to the inside edge of the binding on the back (this makes the binding a flange). You may need a 2nd row of stitching right at the very edge of the seam edge of the border, or you can leave it as a flange. It will be crucial that you keep your stitching straight, so it stays in the ditch of the binding on the front when done. Repeat for both sides. Now tuck in the edges of the top & bottom border...and hand or machine stitch closed. This let's you tuck in whatever amount you need to fit the top & bottom short edges to the side borders. Remember to leave enough room to tuck in and machine stitch the short ends of the side borders...matching the stitching you did on the folds. You can then take this to the longarm, pin it to the leaders and quilt the area. Or just quilt straight lines from the quilt side to the edge (piano key style) to quilt the border.

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    I just finished a quilt for a customer, adding an additional border to meet her size requirements (she measured). She loves the quilt, which is a huge relief, but when laying out on her bed, she discovered it doesn't drop enough to cover the mattress....a few inches short on each side. I am just not sure what I can do to fix the problem. I thought about making a ruffle and adding on three sides, thinking that might be the easiest. But am just not sure. Has this ever happened to you? and what did you do to make it right? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Old 12-22-2012, 11:31 AM

Why not make a dust ruffle on a flange to fit 3 sides, add an elastic area at the top and put it at the area on the matress needed to be just under the edge of the quilt. The ruffle does not have to be an addition to the quilt making it more yardage to have to launder.
    It can be moved up or down on the side of the mattress to fit the drop of the quilt. It can be made of any fabric to either match or contrast the quilt.
    Old 12-23-2012, 04:21 PM

Had this happen to me too! When I washed it it shrunk. I took off all the binding and added a border on 3 sides and requilted it and put new binding. If your customer is willing to pay you to fix it I'd think about it.