Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • cutting fabric into pieces.......a question >
  • cutting fabric into pieces.......a question

• cutting fabric into pieces.......a question

Old 09-04-2011, 12:08 PM

Like many of you, I never pre-cut either. I save every scrap by color, and sort by size as well. I do applique and those bins are my go-to supply of bits and pieces for applique, without having to cut up other fabric. It would be just my luck to find a great fabric that I need 5" square blocks, and have cut them to 4"! I don't tend to do scrappy quilts, so no sense in pre-cutting scraps for me!
    Old 09-04-2011, 12:09 PM

I dont cut anything until I have the pattern in front of me and am ready to begin work on it. I do cut scraps into size, from 2.5 up to 6 inch squares, and I also have a big bucket of strips that I cut even edges on. These are then put into the bucket of each size (I use the buckets that cat litter comes in, from Sams,with labels on them of the size)
    Old 09-04-2011, 12:25 PM

I never Pre-cut fabric until I am ready to use it.

IF the scraps are FQ size or bigger I don't cut them. I fold them, write size on small piece of paper and pin to scrap.

I do cut leftover smaller scraps into managable sizes and strips for scrappy quilts. I try to get a 5" square and work down in size. I use see-thru plastic shoe boxes with labels on end to store them. I don't cut smaller than 2" squares. If they are smaller I throw them into a box and when it's full I mail it to another QB member who does miniature things - if she can't use them, no one can :lol:
    Old 09-04-2011, 12:54 PM
    Power Poster

I know a lot of people who take the leftover fabric from quilts they have made and cut them into various strips and squares like Bonnie on Quiltville.
    http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...rs-system.html
    Old 09-04-2011, 01:01 PM

I think some people cut their fabrics when they get it home to make sure they have enough for their pattern. Some fabrics sell out quickly and sometimes the next bolt doesn't quite have the same coloring. If you don't have a pattern in mind, I don't see any advantage of cutting up the fabric.
    Old 09-04-2011, 01:03 PM

I don't cut anything til I'm gonna use it since I never know what I'm gonna make ahead of time. I keep my scraps however they are & when I'm ready to use them for something, then I cut them. I've never bought a jelly roll, layer cake or any other pre-cuts.
    Old 09-04-2011, 01:08 PM

I don't cut up fabric as I am not fond of scrappy with the exception of doing log cabins. I find, however, that I have been on somewhat of a spending spree - I have many many yards of new fabric, without any idea of what I am going to be making......talk about being mixed up!
    Old 09-04-2011, 01:23 PM

I never precut my fabric just to cut it. Once I know what I am making...then it is time to cut.
    Old 09-04-2011, 02:49 PM

I never cut until I start a project. Just me....
    Old 09-04-2011, 03:00 PM

I cut fabric that is left over from a project only if it is smaller than a fat eighth. I try to cut them into charms or pieces that fit together such as 6 1/2" blocks and 6" finished HST's. Or 3 1/2" blocks and 3" finished HST's. Does that make any sense? I love the scrappy look so this works for me. I would never cut up anything like a fat eighth or fat quarter before I knew what I was making.