Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • cutting fabric into pieces.......a question >
  • cutting fabric into pieces.......a question

• cutting fabric into pieces.......a question

Old 09-05-2011, 06:55 AM

I don't cut any fabric until I am ready to use it.
    Old 09-05-2011, 08:11 AM

I have clear shoeboxes of strips. I use them for scrap quilts. 2 1/2 inches is a good strip or if the fabric is 5" wide I might leave it that size to cut later.
    Old 09-05-2011, 08:15 AM

I never pre-cut fabric, I only cut my scraps into strips (or squares). I have bins of different size strips for that scrappy quilt I'll make someday! I've got ideas, I just need to actually do it (but get through my other UFOs first)
    Old 09-05-2011, 08:22 AM

I thought I was being weird when I heard of all the people that was precutting pieces. But I think now I am normal again. I do not precut anything until I am ready to cut a block or start a full quilt but I do save all those scraps with that project until it is complete. I am into making BOM quilts right now and my side project this summer is making Kool Kollars for friends & coworkers which takes a full wideth of fabric. I also buy at least 2 yds of fabric when I see something I really like. Then I fold it & hang it ina my sewing room closet by material & color until I want it. anything smaller gets put with color in plastic bins or in the project that I bought it for. Then if I make a booboo I have a scrap for it. Our Quilt shop here in town has been a life saver when I screw up & don't have enough of one fabric to finish. She will go to her own scrap bag to find me some. Small town quilt shops are the Angels of this quilting. Thank you for this Site I really enjoy it even if I should be sewing.
    Old 09-05-2011, 08:34 AM

I cut my fabrics into squares and strips when the pieces are small leftovers from a larger project. When it is less than 1/4 yard, it gets cut up so I can use them in scrap quilts.
    Old 09-05-2011, 08:45 AM

I do not pre-cut until I know what I am making! :wink:
    Old 09-05-2011, 09:44 AM

I use my scraps but I need them to be as organized as my fabrics. I can't just throw them into a scrap bin. I sort them by color. This way I can design and find easier.
    Old 09-05-2011, 10:43 AM

i cut small scraps into as big of pieces as i can and go to smaller as i go i love scrap quilts and love making them to me its less clutter if i have 3-4-5 inch pieces cut , but to each their own
    Old 09-05-2011, 10:57 AM

I know some quilters on the board cut up into strips, but not me or anyone I know. I will cut them up only for a project and not before.
    Old 09-05-2011, 12:03 PM
    Power Poster

I cut fabric as I am making quilts, then if there is just a small amount left over, then I precut into strips or whatever. After seeing all those totally tubular quilts using 2 1/2" strips, I might just cut a strip to put into a shoe box along with other 2 1/2" strips. Other than that, I just cut what I need for a quilt. I precut strips before making my family reunion quilt this year, then discovered that I was off by 1/2" and was very ticked off at myself, I'm not precutting the whole quilt again like that.