Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cutting length of fabric accurately? >
  • Cutting length of fabric accurately?

• Cutting length of fabric accurately?

Old 10-03-2015, 05:42 AM
    CRO

Default Cutting length of fabric accurately?

I am making a quilt that calls for 7" borders cut length of fabric for each side. They are 90" each. Of course my ruler is 6 1/2 in.
    How do you cut them that length and keep them straight? Thanks
    Old 10-03-2015, 05:47 AM

I rip the borders. I snip every 7 inches then rip the fabric. Or I might go a little bigger and then after ripping fold the strip of fabric and trim with a ruler.
    Old 10-03-2015, 05:52 AM

I have a large cutting mat that I pull out for this kind of cutting. After squaring up or cutting off the selvage, I use the grid on the mat to get the 7" wide needed. And I fold the fabric so that I am cutting about 15" for each cut with my 18" ruler.
    Old 10-03-2015, 06:44 AM
    Power Poster

I also ripped my borders when I made Queen size quilts. Also ripped the binding while I was at it but added an 1/8" to the width. You loose a little fabric by ripping. Border can always be trimmed when the quilting is done and before you attach the binding.
    Old 10-03-2015, 07:24 AM

I cut just about everything on a table that is 18" x 24". As long as you fold the fabric so the folds are parallel with the selveges, and cut on a 90° angle, your fabric will be straight.

I fold the fabric selvege to selvege (the long way), then I fold it again. At this point the yardage is about 9" wide and 4 layers deep. I square off the raw edges at the end - line the ruler up with the selvege end and the folded end, and cut the raw edge. Then measure and cut the piece I need.

If you don't want to piece your border, you can fold and cut the long way. If you end up cutting more than 4 layers, just make sure you have a sharp blade in your cutter, and cut slowly.
    Old 10-03-2015, 07:33 AM
    CRO

I have tried tearing fabric a couple times, and I am not a fan. I know it works for others but I just didn't like how stretched the fabric was and how much I had to trim off.
    Peckish the instructions call for each piece to be cut length of fabric 90". If I folded it enough times to fit my 24" mat I don't think I could cut through it, or do you keep moving it to get the uncut portion on the mat?
    Old 10-03-2015, 07:34 AM
    Power Poster

I don't like the distorted 1/2 inch that ripping causes. I would rip 8 inches and then accordion fold the ripped 8 inch piece and re-cut to the correct width. If you only have a 6 1/2 inch ruler you will need to use the lines on the cutting mat or put another ruler behind it.
    Old 10-03-2015, 07:46 AM

I square up one end. Mark 7 inches in along the length. Then I use a LONG straight edge/yard stick I bought at Lowes & draw a line connecting the marks. This (see link) one is 6 foot long & not too expensive. I have another than is 4 foot long. They have a hole drilled in the end for storage. I store them via a screw on the sewing room wall behind the door. This keeps it from getting bent. This is the 6 foot one I bought: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1
    Old 10-03-2015, 07:58 AM

I haven't had trouble cutting that amount of fabric folded on length to fit a 24" mat. I position a second ruler behind the long ruler to get the proper width.
    Old 10-04-2015, 03:17 AM

I know you said you don't like ripping but that is what I would be doing for that length of fabric. I've gotten quite good at folding my fabric and cutting so I don't get that dreaded 'v' at the fold but I would be very hesitant to do more than 1 fold. When I rip, I also go a tad wider then press and clean up my edges. Works better for me.