Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cutting Material >
  • Cutting Material

• Cutting Material

Old 01-16-2014, 04:49 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Ive done it with the table at waist high- belly button.. lol.. that seems to work for me..
    Old 01-16-2014, 05:20 PM

Everyone recovers from any kind of surgery in their own time, so don't give up on that just yet!

If you can sit at a desk or a table, even for a short time, you can cut fabric.

However, you'll need a cutting board that is small enough to fit on the desk, and you probably won't have the leverage to cut through more than 2 layers of fabric. If you have an old, large cutting mat, see if someone can cut it to fit the desk or the area of the table in front of you. Or you could get one of the rotating cutting mats and use that.

Remember to cut for short periods so that you can sit with your leg elevated to attempt to reduce swelling.

Otherwise, the best suggestion I can think of is to buy precuts while you're recovering. Friends might also be willing to cut fabrics for you.

My prayers for your speedy recovery are on their way.
    Old 01-16-2014, 05:21 PM

This is a good idea!
    Old 01-16-2014, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by verna2197
    Please help. Right now I am unable to stand for very long and cut material. Had surgery on knee and not doing to good with it. Anyway my question is this. I am trying to figure out a way to sit and cut my material, does anyone else do this and if so can you give me suggestions or better yet pictures. If I can't figure anything out I may have to give up my sewing and quilting. For 2 days now I have been trying to cut material to make a travel bag for my sewing utensils. Almost got it done but I am so swollen and hurt so bad. I just know someone on here will come up with a good ideal for me.

Thank you
    verna2197
    Haven't stood to cut material in a couple decades. I keep my mat close to the edge and have at it.
    Old 01-16-2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
    Everyone recovers from any kind of surgery in their own time, so don't give up on that just yet!

If you can sit at a desk or a table, even for a short time, you can cut fabric.

However, you'll need a cutting board that is small enough to fit on the desk, and you probably won't have the leverage to cut through more than 2 layers of fabric. If you have an old, large cutting mat, see if someone can cut it to fit the desk or the area of the table in front of you. Or you could get one of the rotating cutting mats and use that.

Remember to cut for short periods so that you can sit with your leg elevated to attempt to reduce swelling.

Otherwise, the best suggestion I can think of is to buy precuts while you're recovering. Friends might also be willing to cut fabrics for you.

My prayers for your speedy recovery are on their way.
    I use a 36" by 24" mat and don't stand. It fits my table just fine.
    Old 01-16-2014, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by tkwolcott
    Do you have a friend nearby who could cut quilt kits for you using your fabric and patterns?
    I cut for a friend who can't cut. I don't mind a bit. Perhaps one of your friends would be glad to help.
    Old 01-16-2014, 07:07 PM

I never really understood justifying the cost to Accucut machine ( think i mispelled it) but this would be a perfect situation. Maybe you can borrow one or find one for a reasonable cost.
    Old 01-16-2014, 08:15 PM

I've cut on my coffee table before, either sitting on the sofa or on a small stool.
    Old 01-16-2014, 08:58 PM

Martelli makes a cutter that works very well when sitting
    Old 01-17-2014, 05:16 AM

I've used a drafting chair to cut at times when my back told me to "sit down!" You can adjust it to counter or table height and cut away on your mat.