• Cutting strips

Old 09-09-2015, 02:20 PM

I bought a "GO"!
    Old 09-09-2015, 07:55 PM

I too use June Taylor cutting system! Love it
    Old 09-10-2015, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Painiacs
    I too use June Taylor cutting system! Love it
    It is truly worth the investment if you cut lots of strips.
    Old 09-10-2015, 04:53 AM

After I hold the fabric by the selvages and get that straight, I hold the fabric by the fold so I know that is straight. Then cut off an end so the first cut is straight.

When cutting through more than two layers of fabric, put the cutter into the fabric an inch or two above the edge and cut toward yourself. (No, I won't cut myself, I'm a big girl now.) When making a stack 'n' whack, you are cutting through 8 layers. Fabric has a tendency to 'bunch up' when you have to cut into so many layers. So start a few inches in and cut back toward yourself first. Then put the cutter back where you started and finish cutting the strip.
    Old 09-10-2015, 06:46 AM

I think getting the fold right in the first place is the most important step, and also the easiest to mess up. 9 times out of 10, if my strips are "V" shaped, it's because I didn't get the fold right. Sometimes if the fabric just doesn't want to hang right (and I have enough extra) I'll go ahead and rip a WOF strip off, just so I can be sure I am getting things on-grain. That ripped end has to be trimmed off, though, so I can't do that if I don't have excess to play with.

Lots of good advice here, one thing I'd add is that when I'm going to be cutting a bunch of strips, after I cut the first one I unfold it to check it's OK before cutting the rest and adjust and re-check if it's not OK. That way I only get one or two "V" strips instead of yards and yards worth!
    Old 09-10-2015, 06:56 AM
    Power Poster

Love my June Taylor. I use this often. People talk about slippage but I don't have that problem.
    Originally Posted by PenniF
    After making sure the folds are parallel, i use the June Taylor large Shape Cutter "ruler" (the one with the slits cut in it that you use to channel the rotary cutter). I like it because i can clearly see that the folds are parallel by the "ruler" markings - and i can cut multiple strips without moving it. Just used it this morning to cut 80 10x10 squares out of yardage.
    Old 09-10-2015, 09:16 AM

I also use the June Taylor and love it.
    Old 09-10-2015, 02:20 PM

I have the Creative Grid Stripology ruler and I couldn't believe how much
    time I saved when cutting strips and squares. The ruler is heavy enough
    and has those dots underneath so it doesn't slip when you're cutting.
    It's now my favorite ruler.
    Old 09-10-2015, 04:46 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
    Here is what I do: I cut my fabric into one yard lengths--longer is harder to work with. I use spray starch and iron it smooth. Then fold it in half with selveges together, and hold it out in front of me with the fold hanging down toward the floor. I slide the two selveges edges back and forth, looking at the fold until the fabric hangs down smooth without a ripple at the fold. Then lay the fabric flat on my cutting board, with the selveges away from me and the fold toward me. I pick up the fold and fold it up to line up even with the selvege edges, so I will be cutting through 4 layers of fabric. Use the lines on the cutting mat to trim the left edge off, otherwise known as 'squaring up'. Then I use my 24" ruler, placing it on the left side of the fabric, the newly trimmed side, and slide the ruler over the fabric until 2 1/2" of the fabric is underneath the clear ruler, lining up both vertical and horizontal fabric edges to lines on the ruler. Use a rotary cutter to cut the fabric on the right side of the ruler.
    If I don't take the time to iron the fabric and get the fold straight, I get bows in my strips---this is a common problem. A wrinkle in the fabric will also give you a weird jagged edge. Also make sure your cutting board is on a hard flat surface, if it bends when you are cutting, you will get bows too.
    This is great instruction. I do one more thing when I cut strips. Before I do the full cut I make a small ending cut at the far end of the strip I am going to cut ( a release cut). As I cut the full strip this little 1" cut prevents the fabric from walking at the end of the cut. I don't know why, it just does.
    peace
    Old 09-11-2015, 04:45 AM

I really like my June Taylor ruler too. I either use that or cut like Jeanne S does & I don't seem to have any problems.