Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • cutting table advice please >
  • cutting table advice please

• cutting table advice please

Old 04-30-2014, 08:25 PM

A sturdy folding table set on bed risers is a less expensive alternative.
    Old 04-30-2014, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
    I have one like your first link - no drawer/shelf and no height adjustment. I wish it had adjustable legs as it's really a bit too high for me. Otherwise, it's great. I have my cutting mat at one end and use the other end as an ironing surface (usually a towel or two folded over). Works great. I've even folded it down and put it away once or twice and it is easy to move as well. I like it alot.
    I, too have the first one. I have mine set on a wood floor, so I set the "stops" down so it doesn't roll around. I like mine, got it at Hancock's on sale a few years back at 50% off. I also use one end for ironing. I have one of those little ironing boards set up on it, it's really handy. I also use the crossbars on the bottom to stack some rectangular plastic bins which have fabrics I use a lot. I also like that it folds down in case I need to store it temporarily in the garage.
    Old 05-01-2014, 01:15 AM

My cutting table is 2 lower kitchen cupboards that i bought at Habitat for Humanity Restore. I have 5 drawers in it. I put a door on top of it. That works for me and was majorily cheap! It doesn't have the ability to be closed down if not in use.
    Old 05-01-2014, 01:35 AM

Mine is terribly unstable. Certainly not in everyone's budget but I ordered a Martinelli one and can't wait for it to arrive so I can ditch the JoAnn's one.
    Old 05-01-2014, 04:11 AM

I have the first one shown, I love it. the feet have a break on it to keep it from rolling. I bought it at Hancocks several yrs ago.
    Old 05-01-2014, 05:24 AM

I had a table similar to what you are looking at. I bought it from Atlanta Thread which now has a new name something like War....? It has drawers on both ends. Was more stable than the ones you are looking at. Do you need it to fold down? I had a carpenter build me a new cutting table that will last me forever and it rolls, has drawer, and was reasonable. I still need to paint it. If you are interested and perhaps have someone with a modicum of carpentry skills I will be glad to send you pictures and info to copy it.
    Happy stitching
    Old 05-01-2014, 10:32 AM

I have something very similar to the second one, except mine has sides on the middle section so that they're like compartments. I love it. I got it for half price a few years back at Joanns.
    Old 05-01-2014, 10:57 AM

I bought two of these and a table top from Ikea. The legs are adjustable for height and each have a shelf. The top has holes in it so it is just laying on the legs and can be stored away if you need to. Pegs in the legs keep the top from sliding around. If you buy a $20.00 top, with shipping it should only cost about $100-$120. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00144763/
    Old 05-01-2014, 04:43 PM

Hi, my MIL has one , i believe, like the first but she does a lot of costuming. I found a 4' x 2' folding table that adjusts from low, to about desk height to counter height. I am 5'4" and this is a huge advantage over the dining room table. I found it at Costco. I'm sure other places carry them. I have mine set against a shorter desk height Ikea simple table with legs for $20 as others have mentioned for my '68 Kenmore DSM . Nothing fancy, but works great for me. I also found a great ergonomic adjustable office chair at Costco for $99. Good investment in myself.